The Student Room Group

Impacted canine tooth removal- TERRIFIED!

Hi, so soon I will be getting two upper impacted canines removed, I will be under iv sedation but for some reason I am terrified- I think because I went on Youtube and watched the sort of surgery I will be having, example of one such video (Its not for the faint hearted)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD2_-Uw_YQo
Anyway I have disgusting teeth really crowded and this needs to be done- could anyone offer me any words of support, have you got something similar done, is it worth it?
Original post by Bubblybabybling
Hi, so soon I will be getting two upper impacted canines removed, I will be under iv sedation but for some reason I am terrified- I think because I went on Youtube and watched the sort of surgery I will be having, example of one such video (Its not for the faint hearted)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD2_-Uw_YQo
Anyway I have disgusting teeth really crowded and this needs to be done- could anyone offer me any words of support, have you got something similar done, is it worth it?

Think the answer to this is don't look on youtube but you've probably worked that out by now! I think the best thing to do is focus on the good points and benefits of having it done, how much nicer your teeth will be when you've finished treatment and how much better you might feel about yourself and your appearance. Surgery is scary but whoever's doing it will have done it lots of times before so know what they're doing, I know that might not help a lot but if something went wrong but they'd know what to do with that as well. The other thing is, I know it's easier said than done but try not to overthink it- try and keep yourself busy from now until the surgery and maybe try and arrange something nice for just after it you can think about and look forward to instead. Good luck!
Original post by furryface12
Think the answer to this is don't look on youtube but you've probably worked that out by now! I think the best thing to do is focus on the good points and benefits of having it done, how much nicer your teeth will be when you've finished treatment and how much better you might feel about yourself and your appearance. Surgery is scary but whoever's doing it will have done it lots of times before so know what they're doing, I know that might not help a lot but if something went wrong but they'd know what to do with that as well. The other thing is, I know it's easier said than done but try not to overthink it- try and keep yourself busy from now until the surgery and maybe try and arrange something nice for just after it you can think about and look forward to instead. Good luck!

My surgeon cancelled my appointment and now is saying he wants me under general anesthetic. Im so worried because of heard of 'Anesthesia awareness' where you wake up during the operation and feel everything but cannot tell the surgeon. I dont know whats worse.
Hey, I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed last year without any sedatives, I was absolutely terrified too but it really wasn't so bad. I know that your procedure will be a bit different but honestly you can't see or feel what they are doing at all, and you definitely won't under general anaesthetic. It is very rare to wake up during an operation and if you do the anaesthetist will know because your heart rate will rise etc, then you'd be given more anaesthetic immediately and you would probably never remember what happened. But as I said, very very unlikely to happen at all.
Just make sure you have lots of soft food to eat afterwards :smile:
Original post by Bubblybabybling
My surgeon cancelled my appointment and now is saying he wants me under general anesthetic. Im so worried because of heard of 'Anesthesia awareness' where you wake up during the operation and feel everything but cannot tell the surgeon. I dont know whats worse.

Most of what I said still works, general anaesthetic at least you don't know what;s going on which could be better if you're worried. That's a very very rare thing to happen and the anaesthetist will be well trained in signs to spot it, you could always mention your concern to them beforehand and they'll hopefully be able to make you less anxious about it. The benefits have to hugely outweigh the risks of anything doctors do especially stuff like this, and if you think about the thousands of people that have operations every day without a problem then there's no reason why you should. Talk to the people doing it anyway and I'm sure they'll be able to give you some words of support.

Quick Reply

Latest