This discussion is closed.
leda swanson
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
do you think welsh schools should replace their current a-level system with something similar to scottish highers?
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
IMO yes as I think the Scottish system is better than the A-Level system. The Irish system is in highers too isn't it?
leda swanson
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
IMO yes as I think the Scottish system is better than the A-Level system. The Irish system is in highers too isn't it?
how is it better? do you mean because you do more subjects?
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah I think you do too many subjects at GCSE, then too few at A-Level. Breadth is good, but not a stupid amount of breadth. And I also dislike the modular system. It seems too easy to get an A to me.
roxy potter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by leda swanson)
how is it better? do you mean because you do more subjects?
In ireland we do the leaving cert which is quite similiar to highers we do seven subjects each of which can be taken at higher or ordinary levels. recent studies sugest that 2 a levels is equal to 3 leaving certs(higher level) which means we actually do more. it is actually quite a good system though as maths english and Irish are compulsory as is a foreign language if you want to go to most unis.
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hello fellow Celtic person
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if wales should, shouldn't england change too??

dont you do more subjects with highers - i think the 3 or 4 subjects us welsh people do are just fine by me!
mussed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, we do five subjects. But very little or no coursework and just one exam per subject.
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh - shows how much i know!!

but if this thread starter is on about a welsh change then shouldnt england change too - seeing as the 2 are brought together in examness (:confused: )

Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Everyone should change to follow the Scots. Mind you the Highers aren't perfect either. But imo they're still better
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*welsh bacoloriate(sP?)*

ring any bells with anyone??

love Katy ***
mussed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sparkler)
oh - shows how much i know!!

but if this thread starter is on about a welsh change then shouldnt england change too - seeing as the 2 are brought together in examness (:confused: )

I thought education was a devolved issue for Wales?

The bac is going to be introduced in England and Wales as I read it...
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
*welsh bacoloriate(sP?)*

ring any bells with anyone??

love Katy ***
Not really . Although I think I heard some people say it should be introduced in England. But that was all very hypothetical.
A0307
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Agree completely. 5 Highers + 3 AH is far better than 3 A-levels and maybe one or two AS if you ask me. The modular A-level system is a farce - there's far too many exams and they've still got a "synoptic" paper which sounds remarkably like a cut-down final exam. For qualifications this size, single papers are the way to go.
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And I think the appeals system is quite good. (Although I don't agree with limiting the number of appeals a centre can make. I better be near the top of our list should I need one!)
mussed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And I think the appeals system is quite good. (Although I don't agree with limiting the number of appeals a centre can make. I better be near the top of our list should I need one!)
Appeals = a very good idea.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh, i thought it was common knowlenge...

wjec have been working on the welsh bac for years....

they were planning on realeasing it in 2006...

love Katy ***
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sorry, I hadn't heard about it. But news takes a long time to filter up to the rural wilderness up here .
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hello fellow Celtic person
right back at you.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads