Final draft for the Paris climate agreement released!

Watch
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
You can read it here. It is motivating that the ambitious aim of a 1.5oC target has been mentioned, we now need to hope that this agreement is universally adopted and more importantly, that countries actually stick to it.

Updates and analysis:
BBC
Guardian

Have they done enough? No, predictably not, but given the political realities, this is probably as good a deal as we could have hoped for. Whilst James Hansen has denounced the conference as a "fraud", there does seem to be a broadly positive response to this agreement with optimistic statements being made by the WWF, Greenpeace, 350.org and Lord Nicholas Stern.
TheCitizenAct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
You can read it here. It is motivating that the ambitious aim of a 1.5oC target has been mentioned, we now need to hope that this agreement is universally adopted and more importantly, that countries actually stick to it.

Updates and analysis:
BBC
Guardian
Why is this reduction important?
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
And it has been adopted! A very impressive diplomatic effort.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On the one hand, it's great that the whole world's governments have come together on anything and have signed a common agreement.

On the other, it is depressingly toothless and none of the real experts think that it will halt warming at 2 degrees (already enough to be devastating, as the increasing intensity of storms at only 1 deg is clearly demonstrating) but it is quite likely to increase by 3-4 degrees even if increasing CO2 levels are held or peak in the next 10 years.

Clearly far, far more needs to be done. We should be leading the world in this field, by having a Severn Barrage scheme, by imposing carbon taxes and by switching to alternative fuels and proposing a new Marshall Plan for new energy sources.

Instead, Cameron and Osborne have cut back all renewable energy programmes and are handing lavish amounts of British taxpayer money to China for nuclear power plants that don't work where they have been built elsewhere, at massively inflated future prices for electricity.

#Britainsderelictgovernment
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
On the other, it is depressingly toothless and none of the real experts think that it will halt warming at 2 degrees (already enough to be devastating, as the increasing intensity of storms at only 1 deg is clearly demonstrating) but it is quite likely to increase by 3-4 degrees even if increasing CO2 levels are held or peak in the next 10 years.

Clearly far, far more needs to be done. We should be leading the world in this field, by having a Severn Barrage scheme, by imposing carbon taxes and by switching to alternative fuels and proposing a new Marshall Plan for new energy sources.
Of course, but we knew all of this already. On the scale of outcomes we could have expected from this conference, I think it turned out very well. And no matter how "toothless" the agreement is (which it is), any international cooperation regarding climate change is a good thing. And the fact that they've actually mentioned the highly ambitious (or impossible) 1.5 degree target means that people will have more of an excuse to put pressure on their governments. They've actually all formally agreed to something now so explicitly ignoring it will be a teensy bit more difficult.

As Hansen says, the real solution we need is a price attached to carbon which predictably hasn't happened. Something to aim towards though and by this point, it's really about damage control rather than prevention so any movement at all is good.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Of course, but we knew all of this already. On the scale of outcomes we could have expected from this conference, I think it turned out very well. And no matter how "toothless" the agreement is (which it is), any international cooperation regarding climate change is a good thing. And the fact that they've actually mentioned the highly ambitious (or impossible) 1.5 degree target means that people will have more of an excuse to put pressure on their governments. They've actually all formally agreed to something now so explicitly ignoring it will be a teensy bit more difficult.

As Hansen says, the real solution we need is a price attached to carbon which predictably hasn't happened. Something to aim towards though and by this point, it's really about damage control rather than prevention so any movement at all is good.
Yes, carbon tax is definitely the way forwards. I don't usually side with the Economist, but they've pushing for it for decades and they have been right all that time.

I agree that it's wonderful that global pressure and the work of experts and the gravity of the real situation has brought all these countries together to agree on something. The problem now is, as you say, pressuring those governments to actually deliver and not just treat it as yet more window dressing.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
On the one hand, it's great that the whole world's governments have come together on anything and have signed a common agreement.

Instead, Cameron and Osborne have cut back all renewable energy programmes and are handing lavish amounts of British taxpayer money to China for nuclear power plants that don't work where they have been built elsewhere, at massively inflated future prices for electricity.

#Britainsderelictgovernment
What increasingly devastating storms?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The real question is whether this agreement will shaft ordinary Brits. I'm all for doing something about emissions but not at the cost of increasing costs to British consumers and firms.

I do agree with a Carbon Tax on production replacing all other green taxes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads