Application unsuccessful because of "Increased competition" ??? Watch

JGBishop24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently in first year uni and is applying for a course (Economics) that is totally not related to what I learn now (Design). I meet Queen Mary's requirement for the course, but considering that I already got my A-level grades and they only JUST meet the grade requirements, I wonder if Queen Mary wants applicants with higher grades and not me?

I didn't apply to UK unis during Year 13, so I don't know a lot about UCAS. Has anyone heard someone who got this reason for their unsuccessful application?

I'm also writing an email to the admissions to ask about this. Just wondering if unis can change their decisions once their made? I'll probably phone them too if the email response is not satisfying.

Here is my letter on UCAS:

Queen Mary University of London may have decided not to offer you a place, or your application may have been withdrawn. Here are the details we have been given:

Increased competition - We take all aspects of your application into careful consideration; we look at the merits of your personal statement, academic reference, predicted and actual grades. Due to competition for places, we do not make offers purely on the basis of meeting the grade requirements.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Increased competition means that they had loads of applications, and since you only just met the grades you weren't good enough. Since they've already given you this reason for being unsuccessful you're unlikely to find out more details - they can't say exactly what you'd need to do to get an offer next year in case they get even more applicants and the standard goes up again.
JGBishop24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
Increased competition means that they had loads of applications, and since you only just met the grades you weren't good enough. Since they've already given you this reason for being unsuccessful you're unlikely to find out more details - they can't say exactly what you'd need to do to get an offer next year in case they get even more applicants and the standard goes up again.
I see this a bit unfair considering that even if the other applicants have better predicted grades, they still might not achieve them but still get offers.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JGBishop24)
I see this a bit unfair considering that even if the other applicants have better predicted grades, they still might not achieve them but still get offers.
In which case you can apply for a place through Clearing if they advertise vacancies after results.
JGBishop24
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
In which case you can apply for a place through Clearing if they advertise vacancies after results.
Hi, thank you for mentioning Clearing, I didn't really think about it.

I looked through your post on Clearing lists and searched up about Clearing. So apparently, Queen Mary only opened up during Clearing in 2015 and not before? One of my friends got rejected on result day because she didn't meet her choice's requirement and successfully entered Queen Mary with the equivalent grades as I have. Does this mean that my choice of entering a university during Clearing will depend on the university's vacancy for a specific course each year?

And since I'm not waiting for Result Day, should I phone them or email them prior to when Clearing starts?

I also found this online for 2015:
  • July 3 - Clearing opens for university applicants
  • July 6 - Clearing search available in Ucas
  • July 27 - Clearing search removed from Ucas
  • August 3 - Scottish Clearing vacancies available in Ucas
  • August 12 - Clearing search opens
  • August 13 - A-level Results Day
  • September 30 - Clearing vacancy search closes
  • October 21 - Clearing closes
Just wondering why is Clearing search available then removed then opened again? In my case will I be able to apply for Clearing on July 3? (as I will not be waiting for Result Day. )
Conzy210
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They just didn't think you were a good enough candidate. There's very little ringing them up will achieve. They've considered your application, and despite meeting the grade requirements the rest of your profile isn't up to scratch. Possibly a poor personal statement for example, or it could be that you meet the grade requirements but study unacademic subjects.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not just predicted grades. The rest of the application has to back them up - if someone failed their gcses and AS Levels and had a terrible personal statement it wouldn't be realistic if they were predicted all A* grades for A Level. So whilst yes, they might still fail to achieve that offer, it's considered more likely that they will get higher grades than you. Overall they ate looking like a better applicant.

Unis can't give offers to everyone, so unfortunately some people have to be unsuccessful.
MickMike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not unfair. You don't know how good their personal statement was.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's unlikely that you were the only applicant with achieved grades who applied, and even applicants without A2 grades will have AS grades and GCSEs to show a pattern of academic achievement. Unis will also over offer, as they know some people might not achieve their grades.

It's a shame you missed out on a place, but if the standard of applicant was much higher than last year, it makes sense the uni will increase their standard offer- this looks good for them in league tables and increases the profile of the university.

If you want to apply via clearing, you will need to wait and see if the uni is advertising spaces. If the course has been pretty popular, it's unlikely this will happen until results day, and the spaces available will depend on how many students miss their offers. There may not be many spaces available, so you will have to act fast on results day. You'll only be able to enter clearing if you don't hold any other offers.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nowt to be upset about. Happened to me with a phd application. They said there was no real reason as to why I wasn't suitable but they needed to narrow applications down somehow. It's just one of those things.
JGBishop24
Rep:
?
Thanks guys for all your replies, I got verbal acceptance from Exeter and Nottingham from the last email conversations, but I'm still waiting for their decisions. I really would prefer going to QMUL though, so I might go into clearing for that.

Considering that I have the grades as following, I think grades are a less likely reason for my rejection, but probably because they're not as outstanding as those of other people:
IGCSE
Art and Design A*
Mathematics A*
Physics A*
English Literature A
Business Studies B
English Language B
History B
Mathematics (Further Pure) B
A-Level
Art & Design A* Mathematics A Chinese A
Economics B
History B
testing1234568
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A-Level
Art & Design A* Mathematics A Chinese A
Economics B
History B
Well that explains it! In the A-levels they are likely to care about you got A(A)BB (if you're a native speaker they probably won't be that interested in the Chinese either).
JGBishop24
Rep:
?
(Original post by studentro)
Well that explains it! In the A-levels they are likely to care about you got A(A)BB (if you're a native speaker they probably won't be that interested in the Chinese either).
Yeah, during the email conversation the admissions officer said she'd only "consider " my application://, whereas Exeter and nottingham was like "you would certainly be qualified" etc.

Chinese is a second language, my referee commented about it in my reference. So how is AABB for Clearing? My friend missed her required grades and got AAB and was given a place at QMUL during Clearing just this summer. I'm just afraid that there might or might not be vacancies this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads