The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduate Offer Holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Mathematics MSc , I'll be staying at Ustinov. Did ug at josephine butler, so exploring all areas of Durham as you can see... :wink:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by jhssapphire
That's just too bad! :eek: Awww don't worry, let's meet out sometimes. When will you reach Durham? I was just telling AzueroG that we should like, meet up in Durham. You can set up your facebook later as I know how difficult it is to access it from where you are. Or maybe we can contact you another way? Wechat?

I would love to meet you guys when we arrive. I'll be there at dusk on Sep.28, most certainly jet-legged (my mornings are late nights there, you see). Also, perhaps you can DM me the link to your fb as well? I must learn how to use this thing. : p
Original post by sophieds1
Hi!! I'm so happy to find others doing English!

I haven't managed to join it. It appears as if you have to have a Durham student email before you can access the page! I'm guessing that everyone's email addresses become active after enrolment. I will try to join the group after I enrol and I will let you know if I am successful :smile:

Me too! Super excited to come into contact. A big thanks ahead. The Facebook group would be very convenient.
Well it's a bit embarrassing to ask but how did you decide on your modules? I am being dangerously indecisive at this point and reading the endless materials, stressing out(less than a month left for preparation).
How quickly did you guys get an email with details on how to enroll/choose modules after you met your offer conditions and accepted the offer?
Original post by Shirley_Wholock
Me too! Super excited to come into contact. A big thanks ahead. The Facebook group would be very convenient.
Well it's a bit embarrassing to ask but how did you decide on your modules? I am being dangerously indecisive at this point and reading the endless materials, stressing out(less than a month left for preparation).

I'm indecisive too and have sent the department about a million emails because I wanted to change one of my modules but was unsure because I had insufficient information about it :':wink: I did end up changing it and finally submitting my modules.

I guess for me it was a little easier because a lot of the modules actually did not appeal to me! I'm not a very big Renaissance fan and I did like the look of some of the Victorian modules, but my main interest lies in modern literature and there was a lot of interesting modules from there to choose from.

I'm also a very slow reader and I am going to be quite a poor student this year, so I just chose the modules that interested me the most so I could have a head start with the reading and purchase only the books that I know I'll need.

Sorry that's not very useful! It was really only my circumstances that led me to choose my modules fairly quickly. I'm sure whatever you pick will be brilliant though :smile: There are great professors at Durham!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm indecisive too and have sent the department about a million emails because I wanted to change one of my modules but was unsure because I had insufficient information about it :':wink: I did end up changing it and finally submitting my modules.

I guess for me it was a little easier because a lot of the modules actually did not appeal to me! I'm not a very big Renaissance fan and I did like the look of some of the Victorian modules, but my main interest lies in modern literature and there was a lot of interesting modules from there to choose from.

I'm also a very slow reader and I am going to be quite a poor student this year, so I just chose the modules that interested me the most so I could have a head start with the reading and purchase only the books that I know I'll need.

Sorry that's not very useful! It was really only my circumstances that led me to choose my modules fairly quickly. I'm sure whatever you pick will be brilliant though :smile: There are great professors at Durham!

Aww... you have no idea how reassuring and helpful that is. Thanks! I am currently melting into a pool of emotions.

I am a slow reader as well and I know my knowledge is far from enough ( or is there ever going to be "enough"? laughs). So constantly fearing not keeping up or something, but logic tells me I'll survive. It won't be easy. Again, thanks for your kind words.

Aww... you have no idea how reassuring and helpful that is. Thanks! I am currently melting into a pool of emotions.

I am a slow reader as well and I know my knowledge is far from enough ( or is there ever going to be "enough"? laughs). So constantly fearing not keeping up or something, but logic tells me I'll survive. It won't be easy.
Again, thanks for your kind words.
Original post by liss_jackson
I've decided to live in Newcastle too - did undergrad/Masters in Leicester and Birmingham so I reckon i'd miss the city feel too much. The commute is worrying me quite a bit though - I don't know if I'm just panicking? :':wink:

The commute's pretty easy - regularish trains straight to Durham or there is the Arriva X12 bus which has been recommended by a family member. Do you know what area of Newcastle you're living in? Sandyford, Heaton etc :smile:
Original post by Shiori_Azuma
The commute's pretty easy - regularish trains straight to Durham or there is the Arriva X12 bus which has been recommended by a family member. Do you know what area of Newcastle you're living in? Sandyford, Heaton etc :smile:

I'm at Ouseburn? Some student halls there called Union Square :smile:
Also, re. X12, do you know if it's possible to get the X12 from Durham Bus Station to the Uni? I've read it's free at some point but it would be really handy to catch a bus from near the station if the weather is really poor haha.
Original post by liss_jackson
I'm at Ouseburn? Some student halls there called Union Square :smile:
Also, re. X12, do you know if it's possible to get the X12 from Durham Bus Station to the Uni? I've read it's free at some point but it would be really handy to catch a bus from near the station if the weather is really poor haha.

That's a decent location - not too far from the city centre at all! I want to say no about that bus but I know that there is a Park & Ride bus that passes through some of the uni areas (particularly the 'hill' colleges) in Durham and is £2. Might be worth looking into :smile:
Reply 230
Original post by jhssapphire
That's just too bad! :eek: Awww don't worry, let's meet out sometimes. When will you reach Durham? I was just telling AzueroG that we should like, meet up in Durham. You can set up your facebook later as I know how difficult it is to access it from where you are. Or maybe we can contact you another way? Wechat?

I'll be arriving on the 24 . There is also Whatapp which I'll have soon and then we will have uk phone numbers so we will figure it out. I'm about to firm a huge room at a pretty house in Gilesgate sharing with other 3 students. I have no idea who they will be but that's the thing with being international students right? Today I started packing and I did some winter shopping yesterday. Then I have some last medical things, Seeing my family, saying goodbye to friends...

I'm excited!!!
Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax
I'm doing Mathematics MSc , I'll be staying at Ustinov. Did ug at josephine butler, so exploring all areas of Durham as you can see... :wink:

Out of interest, have you been made aware of the proposals to move Ustinov? I'd be interested to know what, if anything, incoming students are being told. (Just to be clear, I don't expect you'll be materially affected, since movement starts the year after next)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AzueroG
I'll be arriving on the 24 . There is also Whatapp which I'll have soon and then we will have uk phone numbers so we will figure it out. I'm about to firm a huge room at a pretty house in Gilesgate sharing with other 3 students. I have no idea who they will be but that's the thing with being international students right? Today I started packing and I did some winter shopping yesterday. Then I have some last medical things, Seeing my family, saying goodbye to friends...

I'm excited!!!

Gilesgate is a nice place! A friend of mine who's doing pre sessional course lives there. From what I've seen, it's a great choice. So happy for you to have things sorted out. Packing could be painful, but I believe we are heading towards better life, aren't we?
Original post by Shirley_Wholock

I am a slow reader as well and I know my knowledge is far from enough ( or is there ever going to be "enough"? laughs). So constantly fearing not keeping up or something, but logic tells me I'll survive. It won't be easy.
Again, thanks for your kind words.

I'm glad it helped! :smile: I know what you mean... I haven't studied for a while and I'm finding myself wondering if I'll be able to keep up with everything! We'll all in the same place though and I think we'll be fine!

I have finished my enrolment and the website informed me that I can now access my Durham email address. I tried to access it but the account has been suspended for some reason :s So no more luck with trying to join the facebook group, sadly. Sorry!
I have got offer for MA in international relations
I have offer from Durham and York for MA in international relations... Waiting for SOAS,QMUL, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham for the same so what do you think I should choose... I'm an international student.

Quick Reply

Latest