Can I do A level Physics without GCSE Physics Watch

Vish24xy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, I am doing GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Maths but didn't take GCSE Physics. I plan to take Bio, Chem and Maths for A level and want to take Physics A level as a fourth. I'm predicted good GCSE grades in my 2 sciences and maths. Would I not be able to do Physics A level without the GCSE?
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you even looking at the 6th form's prospectuses?
iMacJack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I highly doubt that.
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought all three sciences were compulsory at GCSE
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vish24xy)
Hello, I am doing GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Maths but didn't take GCSE Physics. I plan to take Bio, Chem and Maths for A level and want to take Physics A level as a fourth. I'm predicted good GCSE grades in my 2 sciences and maths. Would I not be able to do Physics A level without the GCSE?
I didn't even know it was possible to not take Physics at all at GCSE? Is this an international specification? If this is true though, I can't see how you'd be allowed to take A Level Physics because you'd be really behind...
Jimib5863
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do people even remember 50% of what they learned at GCSE's or A - levels 3 years after doing them? I doubt it. You can do home study physics a levels without doing GCSE's. They don't check. Home study is hard though, and even on the cheap costs around 700 pounds per a level.

You can revise through the A-level physics book during summer holidays before you start a levels. Depending if you are accepted on to the course or not, obviously. You could easily read through the GCSE and As revision guides in a couple of months and then do past papers and you'd be ahead of most of the other students who are starting the a level physics course.
Jack_Miller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do A - Level Physics after only doing Core and Additional Science and I am struggling a lot, getting mainly U's
username2298253
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I do A-level physics.

GCSE physics was useless, I short term memorised the revision book for the exam anyway.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vish24xy)
No - my son teaches physics at A level. The step up from GCSE is hard enough - unless you are doing maths and further maths.
Dolphins
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You definitely can, GCSE Physics is nothing like A Level Physics, I promise you that! I do A Level Physics and I don't need anything from GCSE... the only thing I'll say is that it's very Maths heavy at A Level and if you struggle with Maths or don't like it you'll feel much the same about Physics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%