Would transgender people exist if gender stereotypes did not?

Watch
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is in a gender, apart from the physical aspects? (By physical aspects I'm also including hormones, e.g testosterone accounting for increased levels of aggression in males)
If gender roles and stereotypes and such didn't have a place in society, would people still feel like they were something else?
I mean, maybe people would still want to be the opposite sex, but would they feel like they really were, since they wouldn't be told what they should feel?

Please don't take offence by this, I'm just trying to get a better understanding
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by defenestrated)
If gender roles and stereotypes and such didn't have a place in society, would people still feel like they were something else?
Where is your evidence that gender roles and stereotypes (archetype is probably a better term to use here) are merely societal constructs and not the result of biological and genetic influences?
Wurld
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn´t try and understand it too much. Feminists will tell you that gender is how much something pertains to being masculine or being feminine, it is hence a ¨social construct¨, because they assert this has been artificially created. Thus they believe that someone can have male sexual characteristics but be female in their gender identity. They can even be male, masculine acting and still identify as female as these are all just unrelated things invented arbitrarily by the patriarchy. For this they have words like ¨transmasculine¨ and ¨genderless¨ and ¨agender¨. And so to them someone can magically turn from a man to a woman because these words don´t have any objective meaning, beyond what the person in question wants them to mean.

Now for those capable of seeing through ideology, this is all just word games and semantics, perpetuated mostly by insecure people with identity issues and special snowflakes, as well as ¨gender studies¨ researchers who make a living off of peddling this stuff. None of it really has anything to do with human nature and can be seen in the context of a postmodern culture that has lost any kind of guiding principle.

Young people are typically insecure, insecure people tend to have a need to define themselves as opposed to just being able to be themselves, and will hence overanalyze themselves to try and formulate an expression of their personality. As for transexuals, they have a form of body dysmorphia, that´s all there is to it. Anyone who thinks a man can become a woman or vice versa needs to question their core beliefs, stop thinking in terms of word games and start thinking in terms of objective reality.

Anyway, that was probably too long and a bit of a rant, but you get the point. I wouldn´t try and think about it beyond the fact these people think language is a subjective thing that can be reinvented by any individual in order to define themselves. It is nonsense.
username2151383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greenlaner)
Where is your evidence that gender roles and stereotypes (archetype is probably a better term to use here) are merely societal constructs and not the result of biological and genetic influences?
As far as I'm aware (but correct me if I'm wrong) transgender people don't have the genetics or hormones of the opposite sex, and therefore wouldn't feel like they do?
username2151383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wurld)
I wouldn´t try and understand it too much. Feminists will tell you that gender is how much something pertains to being masculine or being feminine, it is hence a ¨social construct¨, because they assert this has been artificially created. Thus they believe that someone can have male sexual characteristics but be female in their gender identity. They can even be male, masculine acting and still identify as female as these are all just unrelated things invented arbitrarily by the patriarchy. For this they have words like ¨transmasculine¨ and ¨genderless¨ and ¨agender¨. And so to them someone can magically turn from a man to a woman because these words don´t have any objective meaning, beyond what the person in question wants them to mean.

Now for those capable of seeing through ideology, this is all just word games and semantics, perpetuated mostly by insecure people with identity issues and special snowflakes, as well as ¨gender studies¨ researchers who make a living off of peddling this stuff. None of it really has anything to do with human nature and can be seen in the context of a postmodern culture that has lost any kind of guiding principle.

Young people are typically insecure, insecure people tend to have a need to define themselves as opposed to just being able to be themselves, and will hence overanalyze themselves to try and formulate an expression of their personality. As for transexuals, they have a form of body dysmorphia, that´s all there is to it. Anyone who thinks a man can become a woman or vice versa needs to question their core beliefs, stop thinking in terms of word games and start thinking in terms of objective reality.

Anyway, that was probably too long and a bit of a rant, but you get the point. I wouldn´t try and think about it beyond the fact these people think language is a subjective thing that can be reinvented by any individual in order to define themselves. It is nonsense.
I think people may overanalyse their identity, but by looking at the roles typically assigned to males and females, and seeing how this fits in with themself.
I wouldn't call it "nonsense" but a product of a society obsessed with these stereotypes/archetypes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.65%
Uncertainty around my education (194)
15.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (140)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (180)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (56)
4.42%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (71)
5.6%
Loneliness (111)
8.75%
Financial worries (45)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.57%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (116)
9.15%

Watched Threads