Reggies Yates - homophobia in black and Asian communities Watch

Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Reggie Yates' Extreme UK - Gay and Under Attack

Reggie discovers that, for young black and Asian gays and transsexuals, their harshest critics and persecutors often come from their own communities, or even their own families.
Has anyone watched this?

I have to say I am saddened by the amount of homophobia that exists, and is most pronounced, in immigrant groups in the UK - especially the African and Muslim communities.

Personally I think any parent that attacks their child or kicks them out of the house because of their sexuality is not fit to be a parent. Love is unconditional.

What can/should be done about this?

Can groups with such views peacefully co-exist in the UK - a progressively liberal country which enshrines principles such as tolerance, individuality and equality?
ivybridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Reggie is bae :love:
Illiberal Liberal
Rep:
?
I think the documentary shows us a few things.

1. It's not just a generational thing; simply saying "oh, as they have children that are born and raised in the UK they will be more tolerant" is not a sufficient answer. One of the people spoken to in the first 7 minutes of the documentary was Ibrahim, a 30 year old Muslim born and raised in the UK, and his views showed no sign of converging into the mainstream of British tolerance.

2. Religion is a problem. In most of the cases shown, religion was the root cause of much of the homophobia illustrated. What can be done to counter this?
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yea i saw it. Was terribly sad to see Sohail and how he was treated by his family.

"I could forgive you for killing someone but not being gay"
ivybridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'll watch this and then comment again .
ivybridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
Yea i saw it. Was terribly sad to see Sohail and how he was treated by his family.

Which is just utterly absurd . Was that on religious grounds, or?
Illiberal Liberal
Rep:
?

That's not love.

Reminds of the Plan B song "Tough Love"

They call it tough love, I call it hatred
That's your flesh your blood that's sacred
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Gosh, spoiler alert
Spoiler:
Show
I still need to watch it but religion being the root cause of this problem means it's a very hard problem to tackle, apparently "The word of God" is not one to be tampered with, therefore homophobia will still exist amongst these pious individuals.

Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ivybridge)
Which is just utterly absurd . Was that on religious grounds, or?
Yeah guy was a muslim. His parents kicked him out because they couldnt cure him. He ended up going to gay pride march at the end and was so made up and happy making friends there. Was awesome
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

That is quite similar to what a pope (I don't remember which one) once famously said.

"HIV is bad, but condoms are worse"
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
Gosh, spoiler alert
Spoiler:
Show
I still need to watch it but religion being the root cause of this problem means it's a very hard problem to tackle, apparently "The word of God" is not one to be tampered with, therefore homophobia will still exist amongst these pious individuals.

Sorry re spoiler
ivybridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah guy was a muslim. His parents kicked him out because they couldnt cure him. He ended up going to gay pride march at the end and was so made up and happy making friends there. Was awesome
That just makes NO sense. The core rule of all faiths is "do not kill" - how ludicrous.
RulesforRadicals
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
That is quite similar to what a pope (I don't remember which one) once famously said.

"HIV is bad, but condoms are worse"
As much as I dislike the Catholic Church, I always find it pathetic when someone raises issues within Islam, someone else is always on hand to say 'what about Catholics....'

it feels like a really weaselly way of shutting down relevant discourse.
Olie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I heard that in the advert, seriously one of the most outrageously absurd things I've ever heard, I just can't comprehend how someone could consider something a person has no control over is worse than murder :lolwut:
Illiberal Liberal
Rep:
?
The parents whose 'love' for their child only extends so far as the child adhering to their religion disgust me.

If you only love your child if they adhere to your religious beliefs, then, I'm sorry, but you don't really love them and you are not fit to be a parent.

I really hate this prevailing orthodoxy that parenthood is a right; it isn't - it's a privilege that not everyone should be automatically entitled to.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RulesforRadicals)
As much as I dislike the Catholic Church, I always find it pathetic when someone raises issues within Islam, someone else is always on hand to say 'what about Catholics....'

Well we are talking about "Religion". I wasn't shutting anything down, just simply stating a fact.
Illiberal Liberal
Rep:
?
(Original post by RulesforRadicals)

In general, I agree with you.

But in the context of this documentary, both Christian and Muslim parents stated they would kick their child out of their house if they came out as gay. So clearly, as you know, this is not an issue exclusive to any one faith group.

I do think, however, that the intolerant Christians tend to be first/second generation immigrants, as opposed to native Christians. Perhaps that's because the former actually practice their Christianity, though...
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Damn. Sounds like this guy I know: his father converted and married a religious woman who treated him very badly. Although he tried to convert, and was also gay they kicked him out and was homeless for a few weeks.
mangostan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think religion is a major part of it, especially with Africans who tend to be Christians
We'reAllMadHere
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I watched this; it reduced my faith in humanity to an all-time low.

I remember watching that guy in the hairdressers, the one that said "even the animals are like that - male and female". I so wish he would pick up a book and learn that homosexuality is found in nature and that some animals are neither/both sexes.

I also felt such sympathy for that young Muslim man; I can't believe his family tried to perform exorcisms on him. If I could remove one thing from the world, it would be religion.

It's all just ignorance; people don't even try to understand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads