Which dog breeds can be left alone for 8.5 hours a day?

Watch
simbasdragon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My family and I would really like to get a dog, but we're scared that we'd be leaving it in the house too long and that it would get lonely.

2 days a week it would be alone from 8am - 4:30 pm.
1 day a week it would be alone from 8am - 1pm, but when I go to university in October the dog will be alone until 4:30pm again when my brother gets home.

The rest of the working week my mum will be at home, so the dog would be accompanied. Are there any breeds which could handle being alone for this length of time?

We would also prefer a small - medium dog, preferably very fluffy and not requiring loads of exercise. We could do a couple walks a day of about 20-30 mins each time, and more at the weekend.

Thanks for your recommendations.
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
Anybody?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
dingos
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
none, there is this programme on channel 4 someonewhere about dogs being left on their own all day and it is quite sad. they hate it bc they are social creatures so it isn't fair to get one if it is going to be on it's own so long
Konanabanana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No specific dog breed.

The dog itself is what will be the contributing factor. Train it to be left alone for short periods and slowly increase this time with praise and it will eventually realise there is no harm in being alone.

But if i was forced to chose breeds it would be those breeds with less of an active innate mindset. For example those that are less of a working breed.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no such thing as a breed capable of compensating for certain care needs that a person can't fulfil.

Its going to take training and reassurance to encourage the dog to know that being left alone is nothing to fear or be seen as negative. The dog needs a safe space where he can comfortably chill and have access to food and water and it's important to build them up to long hours rather than just leaving them for eight hours straight away.
supernerdural
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are no breeds like that. Not only is it unfair to leave them like that, but they also need the toilet so will **** all over your house
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you don't have time to look after your dog then you shouldn't get a dog. Plain and simple.

I think this is only dog you should get.

simbasdragon
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice everyone. Would it be any better if we got an adult dog, rather than a puppy, and got someone in on the days we're not there to walk it for an hour or so?
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
Get a cat or rabbits instead, you don't need to walk them and they can be left alone.
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So you want a highly social pet that requires exercising but you want to leave it alone all day for near half the days in a week and can only give it maximum of an hour walking a day? Don't get a dog. You are not the right family right now for a dog.

I recommend a hamster. Mine required feeding every couple of days, cleaning out about once a week and he liked to come out for a play for about 20 mins in the evening but was chill enough that he wasn't upset if we didn't get him out cos we were busy that night. That sounds about the amount of effort you want to put into your pet. But get your hamster a decent cage - most are way too small for their needs.
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by simbasdragon)
Thanks for the advice everyone. Would it be any better if we got an adult dog, rather than a puppy, and got someone in on the days we're not there to walk it for an hour or so?
How about just a fish? They don't need any company?

If the fish floats upsidedown after you got back home, I'd be very disappointed in you
kka25
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
So you want a highly social pet that requires exercising but you want to leave it alone all day for near half the days in a week and can only give it maximum of an hour walking a day? Don't get a dog. You are not the right family right now for a dog.

I recommend a hamster. Mine required feeding every couple of days, cleaning out about once a week and he liked to come out for a play for about 20 mins in the evening but was chill enough that he wasn't upset if we didn't get him out cos we were busy that night. That sounds about the amount of effort you want to put into your pet. But get your hamster a decent cage - most are way too small for their needs.
How do you know your hamster is upset?
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
Get a cat or rabbits instead, you don't need to walk them and they can be left alone.
Rabbits are highly social animals that require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. They are (I believe) the most neglected pet in Britain because people think they can stick them in a tiny hutch and ignore them.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None.

They are social animals.
simbasdragon
Rep:
?

We would walk it for longer than that, ignore my first post. The main problem is just about it being alone.
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
How do you know your hamster is upset?
They bite you. Hard. Also he peed on my brother once but I think he was terrified.
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The above comments are absolutely ridiculous. As I expected tbh.

How many people have dogs, and how many people work full time? OP, most people who have dogs also work full time. Just don't get a dog which requires a lot of stimulation (often the more intelligent ones), and be prepared to walk him/her before and after work. As long as they go on nice walks, and are given lots of attention when you are home (I.e, not locked away in the utility room), most are fine. But don't get a highly energetic dog, which requires a lot of stimulation, as I said.
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
Rabbits are highly social animals that require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. They are (I believe) the most neglected pet in Britain because people think they can stick them in a tiny hutch and ignore them.
Excuse me, I've had rabbits my entire life so you don't need to lecture me. Rabbits are absolutely fine to be left on their own. I didn't say anything about sticking them in a tiny hutch.
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by simbasdragon)
I wouldn't say so, because the adult dog will have a different routine he's used to, and so will have to adjust to yours. If he's not used to being left alone for that period of time, I feel like it would affect him more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads