lmoney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can anyone tell me what the resting cellular calcium ion concentration should be? And what the concentration is during full calcium signalling activation? Thanks!
Advertisement
GapYearMedic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Do you talking about nerve cells?

Well, as you surely know the calcium ions are inside of such a cell, while the sodium ones are outisde of it. As long as these ions are not changed from outside to inside and vice versa, the charges are in an equilibrium (no potential difference), that is to say no stimulus comes into being, so the nerve cells are resting (called resting potential). But when they are changed, the nerve cells are in action and begin to convey a stimulus in form of an action potential. As you can see, it depends on calcium ion concentration inside of nerve cells itself whether they are resting.

Don't know whether its that what you want as a giving answer, but I give myself a try. The resting potential is about -40mV, to get the an action potential, the stimulus has to overcome a certain threshold, 50mV up to 60mV. That is the voltage which has to be achieved by calcium ion concentration (outside of the cell) during signalling activation, so to initate an action potential.
what the ****? can't tell if you're trolling or not, this is so so wrong. OP literally ignore all of this. Normal extracellular calcium is about 2.4 mM, and intracellular is much lower at around 240nm. This is around 10000 times lower, which means there's a huge inward concentration gradient. Not sure about the change in concentration during calcium signalling, but the most important point is it increases significantly, which has many different effects (calcium is one of the most important second messengers).
EDIT: also there are many different ways to initiate calcium signalling (e.g. plasma membrane channels opening and letting extracellular ions in or release from intracellular stores) and many different reasons for initiating signalling (e.g. muscle cell contraction, hormone secretion, synaptic plasticity etc.) so there is no fixed value that calcium concentration increases to during calcium signalling
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GapYearMedic)
what the ****? can't tell if you're trolling or not, this is so so wrong. OP literally ignore all of this. (...)
I was not trolling, have just overseen that the thread starter was asking for calcium instead of potassium. Have really confused those terms what may happen as a non-English native speaker. When I realized my answer was 'so so wrong' as you said, I have deleted it.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.53%
I'm not sure (45)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (307)
29.75%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.62%
I'm not a current university student (503)
48.74%

Watched Threads