What was before the big bang ?

Watch this thread
PrincessZara
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If you are going to say a singularity, which is preposterous, what was before the "singularity"?
username2298253
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Nobody really knows!

If you're quite interested in the topic I recommend reading this lecture by my boy hawking:

http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The Little Pop
JRM3PM
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PrincessZara)
f you are going to say a singularity, which is preposterous, what was before the "singularity"?
The big bang theory relies on there being a singularity, so it's not exactly preposterous.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
We don't know because we weren't there.
Mayhem™
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by york_wbu)
The big bang theory relies on there being a singularity, so it's not exactly preposterous.
There there Nigel, some people just don't get it.
Plagioclase
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
There are many different ideas about this. Some think that the question is meaningless because time didn't exist before the big bang so the concept of "before" is meaningless. Some think that that there's an endless cycle of expansion and collapse (although I don't think this is popular any more). Some think that universes are constantly being spawned within other universes ad infinitum. Nobody knows. Maybe we'll know one day, maybe we won't.
BobbyFlay
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Before the singularity, we don't know, but science is avidly trying to figure it out, and like most things like this science eventually figures it out.
As far as I know there are quite a few theories out there regarding this.
Some say that there have been multiple big bangs within our own universe, others say there are multiple universes besides ours - sort of like bubbles in a bath tub. There are a lot more theories but these are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
username1854431
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
God
BristolFresher15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PrincessZara)
f you are going to say a singularity, which is preposterous, what was before the "singularity"?
WE DON'T KNOW! Why is that so unbelievable or scary? Before every great scientific discovery were numerous generations of people that had no clue that it existed.
Absent Agent
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BristolFresher15)
WE DON'T KNOW! Why is that so unbelievable or scary? Before every great scientific discovery were numerous generations of people that had no clue that it existed.
It's quite scary I guess as you might be judged for turning away from the Truth.
RulesforRadicals
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Starvation13)
God
The singularity has the property that it always existed

God has the property that he always existed

God has additional properties which the singularity does not have (being able to see you, being able to see the future, sending prophets etc)

Yet you are able to believe God was always there but the singularity wasn't. That's a totally illogical way to think
TheOtherSide.
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
We don't know because we weren't there.
We weren't there when the universe was created either, but that doesn't mean that we don't know anything about what might have happened (i.e. the Big Bang). Who knows, there might be an answer some time in the future to what came before a singularity.
RulesforRadicals
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheOtherSide.)
We weren't there when the universe was created either, but that doesn't mean that we don't know anything about what might have happened (i.e. the Big Bang). Who knows, there might be an answer some time in the future to what came before a singularity.
The worst thing is, if scientists find out what happened before the singularity, religious people will say 'What came before that? Don't know, must be God lelele xD'

They add nothing relevant to the discussion, it's so frustrating. They're like cavemen who think that Zeus causes lighting or Poseidon causes the tides, they don't know something, rather than trying to found out, they prefer to blame the fairies.
BristolFresher15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
It's quite scary I guess as you might be judged for turning away from the Truth.
If by the 'Truth' you mean 'the word of God' then I don't really care. The sheer number of religions and gods that have existed leads me to believe that its almost impossible to find the one 'true' religion, especially since they're all so largely open to interpretation.

By their logic, most of the people that have ever lived are going to Hell. A God that allows for that isn't one that I'm going to actively fear, because apparently no matter what I do there's a good chance I'm going to end up burning in Hell.
TheOtherSide.
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RulesforRadicals)
The worst thing is, if scientists find out what happened before the singularity, religious people will say 'What came before that? Don't know, must be God lelele xD'

They add nothing relevant to the discussion, it's so frustrating.
It might be so, but give them a few years (or a few hundred), and there should be enough evidence to convince them or, at least, prevent others from believing the religious theory.
Mihael_Keehl
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
instellar dust cloud, and so gravitational attraction caused dust cloud to collapse xxxxxxx
mangala
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
there are a few theories, non are really complete yet. like the person above said, originally people thought the universe continuously expanded then collapsed in on itself, and all of the matter from within that collapse created an immense amount of energy which subsequently created another rapid expansion (the big bang wasnt actually an explosion). the multiverse theory is one gaining some ground, but like i said it isnt a complete theory yet. however, some scientists believe our universe is one of many in a sort of "wave" of matter, which when colliding creates an immense amount of energy, and thus creates a rapid expansion as a result in which that immense energy is stored (the energy is then transferred in to suns etc).

but this is madting physics so i dunno lad mate
Absent Agent
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BristolFresher15)
If by the 'Truth' you mean 'the word of God' then I don't really care. The sheer number of religions and gods that have existed leads me to believe that its almost impossible to find the one 'true' religion, especially since they're all so largely open to interpretation.

By their logic, most of the people that have ever lived are going to Hell. A God that allows for that isn't one that I'm going to actively fear, because apparently no matter what I do there's a good chance I'm going to end up burning in Hell.
I thought I quite conveyed the sense of sarcasm :erm:.
RulesforRadicals
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheOtherSide.)
It might be so, but give them a few years (or a few hundred), and there should be enough evidence to convince them or, at least, prevent others from believing the religious theory.
The problem at its central core isn't that science doesn't everything, because with everything we as humans learn, we find more things we don't know and have more questions, the real problem is people who say 'we don't know, therefore it's God or magic or elves' it's the dumb ****s who are satisfied with using the supernatural to explain things rather than wanting to find the truth through hard-work and curiousity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads