The Student Room Group

Maths PGCE without a maths degree?

I have a-level maths and a level further maths but no maths degree would I get on a maths PGCE?

Degree is in psychology.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you should probs take some kind of maths course before you do a PGCE. Unfortunately Psychology isn't that mathsy.
Original post by Dabo_26
you should probs take some kind of maths course before you do a PGCE. Unfortunately Psychology isn't that mathsy.

U cray?
It's considered a science and there's a lot on statistics/standard deviation etc involved.
Original post by Findlay6
U cray?
It's considered a science and there's a lot on statistics/standard deviation etc involved.

Its not a science, its not objective. Well done you've covered mean, median mode and SD, enjoy educating students with 4 (very simple) equations.
Universities will most definitely ask you to do a SKE (Subject knowledge enhancement course)before starting your PGCE. Edge Hill I think does one. It can go over months.

Teach First is a bit different I think.
Original post by skeptical_john
I have a-level maths and a level further maths but no maths degree would I get on a maths PGCE?

Degree is in psychology.

Thanks

Ignore Tuna, this thread is to discuss becoming a teacher.

The answer is yes with a degree in psychology you can teach maths, it is a numerate degree. Having both A-Level Maths and Further Maths is a big bonus.

It is probably a university will make you do an SKE/Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course before a PGCE though because of the different style of Mathematics involved and learning Maths for teaching not for knowledge.

I would guess that if you did an SKE (depending on the institution) it would only be a half year/few weeks course though not the full year SKE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for replies, from my own research some unis will do let you on the course with a 2:1 and a-level maths if you do a ske. Would be good if I could do it over the summer.
Thanks for replies, from my own research some unis will do let you on the course with a 2:1 and a-level maths if you do a ske. Would be good if I could do it over the summer.

Some courses will require the SKE. Another user already mentioned Teach First as an example of a route that won't require this.

Depends on the provider, some can offer a SKE over the summer but it depends on what they expect given your background (i'd say with both A-Levels they might just offer a summer SKE to you).

Also yes as mentioned Teach First also a possibility, though you did mention PGCE in particular there are other entry routes (see DfE).
It is highly likely you will need to do a SKE before starting. I'm currently doing a PhD in a subject that is pretty much maths and physics. I've been told that I will need to do a SKE because I don't have enough direct maths content, so I can't see them saying you won't have to do one with a psychology degree. Good news is that you get paid to do the Maths SKE :biggrin:
I could count on one had how many people in our co-hort who had a maths degree; it was a bit sad when it came to A level stuff and I was teaching 3 people how to differentiate..

Teaching maths without a maths degree? Completely normal, once when I taught a class on vectors, my mentor was also taking notes on how to understand them, she also needed a reminder on Surds.
Original post by Broadhallian
I could count on one had how many people in our co-hort who had a maths degree; it was a bit sad when it came to A level stuff and I was teaching 3 people how to differentiate..

Teaching maths without a maths degree? Completely normal, once when I taught a class on vectors, my mentor was also taking notes on how to understand them, she also needed a reminder on Surds.

I'm sure a lot of people with a maths degree need reminding how to do certain things, as would anyone teaching any subject. I use maths every day of my PhD, but I obviously don't use every single area of maths!
I am going to be harsh here, but only because so many bad maths teachers out there ruin this beautiful subject in the perceptions of the students. As a maths teacher, you have a responsibility to inspire a love of this beautiful subject in your students. You do need to have a higher understanding of maths and its applications. There are now many ways you can do this with the internet.

You have an A-level in further maths which is a great start. What you don't want to become is one of the now sadly common maths teachers who teach contrived methods and drive their kids towards hating maths. That's obviously not your intention but it's so common nowadays it bears repeating.
Original post by Don John
I am going to be harsh here, but only because so many bad maths teachers out there ruin this beautiful subject in the perceptions of the students. As a maths teacher, you have a responsibility to inspire a love of this beautiful subject in your students. You do need to have a higher understanding of maths and its applications. There are now many ways you can do this with the internet.

You have an A-level in further maths which is a great start. What you don't want to become is one of the now sadly common maths teachers who teach contrived methods and drive their kids towards hating maths. That's obviously not your intention but it's so common nowadays it bears repeating.

Nothing I can disagree with here. IN fact it's part of why I want to get into teaching because the teaching I got was part of why I did not continue with maths myself (though I have kept it going as an interest). Recently read some work by Jo Boaler and very keen on her methods.
Recently read some work by Jo Boaler and very keen on her methods.

Your qualifications in mathematics are greater than hers. Boaler usually has her detractors hunted down and killed so, if I fall silent, you'll know what has happened.

Degree is in psychology.

Thanks

PGCEs want degrees with at least 50% maths content so you may need to do a maths enhancement course first.

I wouldn't employ anyone in my department without a maths degree as maths knowledge needs to be higher than the students being taught.
Original post by Muttley79
I wouldn't employ anyone in my department without a maths degree as maths knowledge needs to be higher than the students being taught.

Strewth. Can you afford to be that picky? I know a Maths Department that has advertised 3 jobs in TES on 16 occasions in 2015 and received a sum total of zero applications.
Original post by Mr M
Strewth. Can you afford to be that picky? I know a Maths Department that has advertised 3 jobs in TES on 16 occasions in 2015 and received a sum total of zero applications.

When I was looking in TES I saw many many more maths jobs than science (specifically physics), is there more demand for maths or are schools just filling science places with biologists?
Original post by TunaTunnel
When I was looking in TES I saw many many more maths jobs than science (specifically physics), is there more demand for maths or are schools just filling science places with biologists?

Schools do fill science places with biologists but only because they can't find physicists and chemists. You may have noticed a lot of maths teachers adverts recently due to the increase in contact time needed for the reformed maths GCSE and compulsory post 16 maths GCSE re-sits.
Original post by Mr M

Yes we can - fortunately we seem to attract good quality applicants - we can offer A level teaching to all our teachers if they want it.

Quick Reply

Latest