The Manchester United Thread XIX Watch

This discussion is closed.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fizzel)
Barca appealled that ban in August and it was rejected in Dec. If this proceeds in a similar fashion that won't work. Their appeal would be overturned before the window opened.

EDIT: Aug not Sept. So perhaps could work but would require swift business I guess. We'll know soon as they have 3 days to lodge an appeal.

But on balance that game had one well worked free kick, a silly pen, a ridiculous overhead kick, and Martial. It was a far closer game than the scoreline and general feeling suggested. Bit worried LVG will repeat the Arsenal game of earlier in the season.
Klopp also seems to be able to get our players to raise their playing level in the big games too. You look at our performances against Chelsea, Man City, Southampton and Arsenal now. Way better than our other games.

If I was LVG, I'd play Fellani up front
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Klopp also seems to be able to get our players to raise their playing level in the big games too. You look at our performances against Chelsea, Man City, Southampton and Arsenal now. Way better than our other games.

If I was LVG, I'd play Fellani up front
It's not so much raising the level just for the big games, those big games happen to suit us better due to the style of the opposing team (which is basically not as direct and physical as the West Hams and the Watfords). The league cup game against Stoke is a perfect example, first half we looked really good against Stokalona but the second half we struggled when the Stoke we all know and love turned up (although the hammies getting busted didn't help).
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
It's not so much raising the level just for the big games, those big games happen to suit us better due to the style of the opposing team (which is basically not as direct and physical as the West Hams and the Watfords). The league cup game against Stoke is a perfect example, first half we looked really good against Stokalona but the second half we struggled when the Stoke we all know and love turned up (although the hammies getting busted didn't help).
Chelsea have Costa up front and Southampton had Pelle when we beat them too.

Yes we don't know how to defend against a big target man but our passing and attacking up front left a lot to be desired in those games too.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Costa is not a target man ffs. He spends most of his time running into channels on the flanks and most of his goals are either from cut backs where he has a few touches or him making runs in behind the defence. He's not a Benteke or Fellaini when you can just kick the ball to him and 99 times out of 100 he's winning the header. Neither is Costa's play suited as a back to goal player... He's quite poor in the air when you consider his strength and his height.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-ma...ls_won_%#total
In comparison to two of the better target men in the league, he is pretty average in the air. He is not suited with his back to goal either. In reality Costa is a poacher/advanced forward that has a bit of skill on him.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
Costa is not a target man ffs. He spends most of his time running into channels on the flanks and most of his goals are either from cut backs or him making runs in behind the defence. He's not a Benteke or Fellaini when you can just kick the ball to him and 99 times out of 100 he's winning the header. Neither is Costa's play suited as a back to goal player...
Fellaini is also incredibly poor at heading for someone so tall and strong.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Fellaini is also incredibly poor at heading for someone so tall and strong.
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-ma...ls_won_%#total

But the point is that he is nowhere near as poor as Costa. Statistically it shows here that he still trumps Costa aerially, even if he is not as good as Benteke, Gestede or Giroud.This doesn't even include the fact he is playing in different positions which will alter his stats.
Also Fellaini's aerial stats was 58% in 14/15 while Costa's was still at 29%. It's more the case that he's been very poor this season Fellaini than him being poor in the air.
scrawlx101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thoughts on dragovic and silmani links?
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
thoughts on dragovic and silmani links?
Good news, more sensible signing attempts than previous. I'd rather we sign potentials for 10-20mil than going after Bales, Hazards etc. Particularly in Jan.

No surprise Niguez rejected us, why would he transfer from Atletico to us? Not going to pretend I watch any of the above, but I'm glad we're being linked to plausible signings. Dragovic of all them sounds most likely, and for me, is the best suggestion. (although I thought we'd try for Stones)
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Looks like De Gea will be with us for at least another year with Real's transfer ban.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Nah I've just been crying about how we only seem to play well against good teams.
Like what kind of backwards mentality is that?
So you'll play badly against us then

Posted from TSR Mobile
scrawlx101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cavani close to PSG exitPSG coach Laurent Blanc has put United on high alert after admitting that Edinson Cavani could be on his way out of the club.“There is a problem with Cavani’s behaviour but my job is to think of the entire squad as a collective.“We did hold a staff meeting and among the various issues we discussed were Cavani and his complaints.“The desires of the individual can’t affect the rest of the team. I believe that he can score here but I understand if he wants to consider other career opportunities.”
From MEN....cavani would be nice...swap him for mata
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
Cavani close to PSG exitPSG coach Laurent Blanc has put United on high alert after admitting that Edinson Cavani could be on his way out of the club.“There is a problem with Cavani’s behaviour but my job is to think of the entire squad as a collective.“We did hold a staff meeting and among the various issues we discussed were Cavani and his complaints.“The desires of the individual can’t affect the rest of the team. I believe that he can score here but I understand if he wants to consider other career opportunities.”
From MEN....cavani would be nice...swap him for mata
Alright, I'll say it, am I the only one who thinks Cavani is overrated?
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cavani is scoring 25+ goals a season playing at LW for half the season. If he's overrated then so is Ibra.
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cavani is scoring 25+ goals a season playing at LW for half the season. If he's overrated then so is Ibra.
His repeated **** play in the big games and biggest moments can't be ignored, whatever his excellent numbers are (ironically I remember convincing you of the merits of Cavani before).
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
His repeated **** play in the big games and biggest moments can't be ignored, whatever his excellent numbers are (ironically I remember convincing you of the merits of Cavani before).
You convinced me of Cavani's merits? I think you were convincing/arguing with Little_tom mainly that Cavani was one of/the greatest goalscorer in Italian Football history. I remember saying that the downgrade from Cavani to Higuain was not as much as you made it out to be.
Rk2k14
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pretty sure Zlatan hasn't rose to the 'big game' occasion multiple times.

What Cavani does is pretty incredible, regardless.
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You convinced me of Cavani's merits? I think you were convincing/arguing with Little_tom mainly that Cavani was one of/the greatest goalscorer in Italian Football history. I remember saying that the downgrade from Cavani to Higuain was not as much as you made it out to be.
Whatever the discussion was (not gonna bother to look back at it), point is that Cavani's record in the big games is questionable. Whether he's 'overrated' or not, idc, because I don't know who rates him or doesn't lol.

United could definitely buy worse strikers, and I'm not sure they could get a better one. Higuain might be attainable, comparable to Cavani on recent form.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cavani is probably the highest level of striker they can get. You're talking Lewandowski, Muller, Aubameyang, Aguero, Suarez for upgrades on Cavani which basically isn't going to happen.
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its usually open by Blanc, so I guess it could just be him calling Cavani's bluff. However if it is the case he's available Woodward should be making a move. We're not getting anyone better as said, and we're short on numbers and quality. LVG can't lament the quality of finishing and then reject the option to bring in proven quality. Considering our recent results, we have far more to worry about than simply the big games.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cavani at United would be amazing :love:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (162)
19.47%
Labour (423)
50.84%
Liberal Democrats (112)
13.46%
Green Party (46)
5.53%
Brexit Party (12)
1.44%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.68%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.72%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)
0.48%
UKIP (8)
0.96%
Other (6)
0.72%
None (30)
3.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise