The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

BBC claiming that LVG did not offer to resign on Saturday.
That's me off here until Van Gaal goes, whenever that may be.

Nothing to do with any one on here, I'm just fed up with the same conversations and I'm sure people are fed up hearing it. It's tedious. I'm going to stop putting football so high up the priority list and I'm going to spend less time talking/thinking about it as it only puts me in a bad mood.

We are ran by men in suits who treat the club like a cash cow. And Ed Woodward is frankly nothing but a coward. Why should fans give so much to the club when the club don't value one ounce of the fans opinion?

This isn't a football club any more, it's just a business. And it's sad. Perhaps even rival fans can see it's a shame what one rotten board can do to a once great football club, it's success, academy, name.

Even when Van Gaal eventually does go, maybe then we will get our team back on the pitch. That will certainly not solve the off the pitch issues. But at least we may get to enjoy watching the team again. Maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I've had enough of this ****. Our board couldn't care less if we finish 8th as long as there's United branded noodles, crispy chicken and tyres. All about the money to these clowns

#glazerout
#woodwardout
#lvgout

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3243
Controversial opinion: LVG has made the absolute maximum of his time at Utd, and you should be thankful to him for his service.

:creep:
:lol:

Told you guys we just have to learn to put up with it till end of the season caz LVG is staying and just know that top 4 is probably not going to be achieved....but that's okay! He will go at the end of the season and we can have a fresh start with a new manager I'm sure Woodward has accounted for this :h:

Yes it will be frustrating that we are not playing in the CL again but really honestly speaking we are not quite ready to compete in the champions league we are still rebuilding our team and it's still not a team that can compete with the likes of Real/Barca/PSG/Bayern! When we get rid of people like Fellani/Jones etc in the summer and bring in high quality centrebacks (i.e. Stones) and a good decent winger who likes to run at people with Memphis on the left we will be a decent team and next season will be finally ours once again! Have faith guys :wink:
Original post by hayles101
That's me off here until Van Gaal goes, whenever that may be.

Nothing to do with any one on here, I'm just fed up with the same conversations and I'm sure people are fed up hearing it. It's tedious. I'm going to stop putting football so high up the priority list and I'm going to spend less time talking/thinking about it as it only puts me in a bad mood.

We are ran by men in suits who treat the club like a cash cow. And Ed Woodward is frankly nothing but a coward. Why should fans give so much to the club when the club don't value one ounce of the fans opinion?

This isn't a football club any more, it's just a business. And it's sad. Perhaps even rival fans can see it's a shame what one rotten board can do to a once great football club, it's success, academy, name.

Even when Van Gaal eventually does go, maybe then we will get our team back on the pitch. That will certainly not solve the off the pitch issues. But at least we may get to enjoy watching the team again. Maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So True :frown:

Glazers will back Woodie and Woodie will back LVG till the bitter end which is probably why he's still in a job.

There are probably thousands of fans like you and I'm on the same boat as you, also United just emailed me saying I could buy 4 tickets with my membership for the Stoke game which shows that a lot of the fans have had enough! The day is not far when OT will start to look like the Etihad :frown:

We have Americans on the board who know ef all about football with SAF, Charlton etc nothing more than ambassadors.

The statement from Bayern when they sacked LVG sums it all up very well:

"Football should be enjoyable, but there has been nothing enjoyable about football at FC Bayern for a while now"
Original post by sr90
I've had enough of this ****. Our board couldn't care less if we finish 8th as long as there's United branded noodles, crispy chicken and tyres. All about the money to these clowns

#glazerout
#woodwardout
#lvgout

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they only care about money then not sacking him or not letting him resign would mean we would have less chance of getting top 4. Therefore, we get less money from the Champions League.

We saw how much our revenues fell last year after we didn't qualify for top 4 during the Moyes season.
By keeping the guy who is evidently not going to get the club into the top 4 (or having a very low chance of doing so), they're therefore increasing the chance of getting less revenue.

It makes no sense.

There must be something else going on that we don't know about. I doubt it's as simple as how we all think it to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasidb

There must be something else going on that we don't know about. I doubt it's as simple as how we all think it to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah there's nothing else going on. It's always that simple. When is it never? Problem as stated above is that the owners are treating the wrong way.
Article on SS:

How many people are on the United board?There are 12 members on the board of directors, including Woodward, six members of the Glazer family - the club's American owners - commercial director Jamie Reigle and group managing director Richard Arnold.
There is also an ambassadorial group that includes former manager Sir Alex Ferguson, club legend Sir Bobby Charlton and former chief executive David Gill.

So would any sacking be a group decision?No. The man ultimately responsible for the hiring and firing of managers is Woodward, who has a close relationship with the Glazers and is trusted by them to make the big decisions.Sky Sports News HQ understands other members of the board will not be consulted on the final decision, so the focus is very much on Woodward to make the call.The former investment banker was appointed to the board in 2012 and was responsible for sacking David Moyes, as well as hiring Van Gaal in the summer of 2014.

-----------------------------------

Under this structure it probably makes sense to have a non-interfering Director of football who is not a mere ambassador. 7/12 members of the board are the American owners and Ed which is very significant. Honestly, I too am tired of discussing LVG all the time because our board don't give a poo poo, so lets change the topic - What players can/should we sign to salvage the season?
Muller + Neymar + Messi
Original post by Dirtybit
Nah there's nothing else going on. It's always that simple. When is it never? Problem as stated above is that the owners are treating the wrong way.

Woodward and co. didn't get to where they are today by being bad at managing money. They know for a fact that not qualifying for the Champions League means they'll earn less money. They know for a fact that LVG is not the man to take the team to top 4 and provide them that extra revenue. Therefore they know for a fact that keeping LVG will likely lead to Man Utd not qualifying for the Champions League and so they'll end up getting less revenue.

If it really was as simple as you say, then LVG wouldn't be here managing Manchester United. What other reason would there be for him to remain if it really were that simple? The club is worth about £2.16 billion, it's never going to be that simple.

That's why I'm saying that there's got to be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I don't think Woodward is keeping LVG because he doesn't care. Surely if the club makes more money then Woodward makes more money, right? Woodward would definitely care in that case.

I don't know what's going on but whatever it is, I hope it ends up being for the benefit of the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasidb
Woodward and co. didn't get to where they are today by being bad at managing money. They know for a fact that not qualifying for the Champions League means they'll earn less money. They know for a fact that LVG is not the man to take the team to top 4 and provide them that extra revenue. Therefore they know for a fact that keeping LVG will likely lead to Man Utd not qualifying for the Champions League and so they'll end up getting less revenue.

If it really was as simple as you say, then LVG wouldn't be here managing Manchester United. What other reason would there be for him to remain if it really were that simple? The club is worth about £2.16 billion, it's never going to be that simple.

That's why I'm saying that there's got to be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I don't think Woodward is keeping LVG because he doesn't care. Surely if the club makes more money then Woodward makes more money, right? Woodward would definitely care in that case.

I don't know what's going on but whatever it is, I hope it ends up being for the benefit of the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure thing but there are so many factors you need to include for example to pay the rest of LVG's contract if you fire him. Also the fact that he needs to stand by his decision and not to look like a clown. It's not as simple as you say. Ed secures a lot of other deals to generate money plus we have the mega adidas deal. I think that when he appointed LVG he must have calculated the number of years of CL misses they could afford. Your making the assumption that they know for a "fact" LVG cannot make top 4 and that logic is incorrect.

In any case, I'm not saying that Woodward is happy with LVG and wants to leave things how they are. I'm saying that he's not panicking like us fans. He has most likely prepared for a situation like this so financially we are still strong even if we miss out on CL. He is not running around helter-skelter manner to get a new manager immediately. In-fact, he probably has not even decided on the next manager yet. He is not secretly securing a deal with Pep as reported by BBC etc.
Original post by qasidb
If they only care about money then not sacking him or not letting him resign would mean we would have less chance of getting top 4. Therefore, we get less money from the Champions League.

We saw how much our revenues fell last year after we didn't qualify for top 4 during the Moyes season.
By keeping the guy who is evidently not going to get the club into the top 4 (or having a very low chance of doing so), they're therefore increasing the chance of getting less revenue.

It makes no sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our revenue without European football was miles ahead of any other PL team and higher than PSG and Bayern

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lel. Imagine thinking United of all teams would hesitate to sack a manager due to contract issues.

If they can spend £30million on Fellaini then they can do anything.

Also, revenue may not be that big of a problem considering the club stature, but its damn right embarrassing if we're not in the CL and teams like Leicester and Spurs are.

Not to mention potential transfers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Our revenue without European football was miles ahead of any other PL team and higher than PSG and Bayern

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, and? I don't think they'd care all that much that their revenue was higher than PSG and Bayern. Probably they'd be somewhat happy and proud but that's about it. It's not a competition to see who earns the most.
They themselves just want to earn as much as they possibly can, just like what a business wants to do. But they would likely be annoyed if they're losing out on the extra millions they've usually aquired from the Champions League since they took over in 2005. Yes they still get a tremedous amount of money from the Adidas deal but nevertheless, they're still losing revenue on something that would virtually be guaranteed for Manchester United.

Not just that but they should be able to see the long term effects of what a lack of success will do to the club.
There was that guy on this thread or the Miscellaneous Thread who lives in an East Asian country (think it was China) and he said that he sees more people wearing Bayern Munich and other top clubs' shirts rather than Man Utd's shirts. That's what lack of success does. It could potentially hurt the revenue we get from shirt sales and other merchandise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We are never going to match a club like Munich, so its no surprise their stock is rising.
LVG can't even resign properly! If he was desperate to go, a man of his assertiveness would do it. You can imagine he floats resignation in his conversations with Ed ("you know, Ed, I think I should resign, make it easier for you I think") and Ed reassures him that he's not ("of course not LVG, your fine, please carry on"). It's going to get a lot worse it seems before it gets any better, i.e LVG leaving the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;L5_yG9qFwv8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5_yG9qFwv8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Gary Neville >>> Giggs as potential manager
Original post by Campaign
Lel. Imagine thinking United of all teams would hesitate to sack a manager due to contract issues.

If they can spend £30million on Fellaini then they can do anything.

Also, revenue may not be that big of a problem considering the club stature, but its damn right embarrassing if we're not in the CL and teams like Leicester and Spurs are.

Not to mention potential transfers.

This is golden

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsmyname
[video="youtube;L5_yG9qFwv8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5_yG9qFwv8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Gary Neville >>> Giggs as potential manager

lol

Latest