The Student Room Group

Does love REALLY exist ??

As the question states. Is love an actual thing or is it just sugar coated lust??
For one you can measure lust ...you know elevated heart rate..high bp... Adrenaline levels ... And so on... But love? How do you measure it? You can't... Therefore does it really exist ? Or is it just a figment of you're imagination? Some made up thing that got way out of control ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Love is massively different from sugar coated lust.

For instance my love for my family is not sugar coated lust.
Of course it exists. Love is a bunch of thoughts in your mind. In fact, every single feeling that you can imagine can be defined as a bunch of thoughts in your mind. It's as simple as that. But it's very difficult to define, capture or measure love. It's not very well understood. So maybe I lied when I said it's simple. Again, love is a thought (or a group of thoughts) that exists in your mind. It's not a tangible entity. You can't even define it as anything other than a thought, so a little bit of creativity enhances the way in which you experience love (which, again, is just a thought in your mind). So, does it exist? Yes, certainly.
Reply 3
Original post by Silver_Spider23
As the question states. Is love an actual thing or is it just sugar coated lust??
For one you can measure lust ...you know elevated heart rate..high bp... Adrenaline levels ... And so on... But love? How do you measure it? You can't... Therefore does it really exist ? Or is it just a figment of you're imagination? Some made up thing that got way out of control ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erotic love is just reproductive imperative elevated to the metaphysical, and this elevation is simply a symptom of the apparent meaninglessness of existence, so we create purpose to fill the void, e.g. love.
of course, for Shrek is Love, Shrek is life
Reply 5
I would say love is as real as the person feeling it thinks it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do know that there are people who sacrifise their lives for the person they loved, they have taken a bullett for them or would if they had to or take care of their for years even when they are ill and can't do things by themselves, etc. That's clearly not just wanting to **** someone.
Absolutely. Trump does love money. That's why he is now a billionaire. Love does exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
You say you can't measure love, but I'd be pretty certain you could measure the effects of it.

If you showed a parent a complete stranger dying in front of them or their child dying in front of them I would expect you'd get very different measurements of all the things mentioned in the OP.
Reply 9
Original post by Alaska+
Erotic love is just reproductive imperative elevated to the metaphysical, and this elevation is simply a symptom of the apparent meaninglessness of existence, so we create purpose to fill the void, e.g. love.

In English?
Yeah it does - if you've felt it, you know it exists. You can't really explain the concept of love, you have to feel it to understand it fully.
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask someone whose just lost his wife after a 50 year marriage whether he truly loved her or it was just sugar coated lust.
I suppose it does, because I have felt it (it hurts hella lot) but I wish it didn't, because my poor life would be less painful :P
So in other words , Op secretly has sugar coated lust for his family :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could say that, like lust, love is just chemical reactions in the brain. People can act strangely when they're 'in love'. In this sense, love can objectively exist.

But ultimately, the concept of love is subjective because people have different ideas. You can measure it objectively (with chemical reactions in brain) but it's up to the person to define what it is.
It is just sugar coated lust. Those who are saying yes they believe in love is because they are currently in love. I always say I don't believe in love. I do believe that it is a beautiful feeling but it is only temporary.. :s-smilie:
I truly believe that love exists . However, it is a rare thing to find nowadays.
Original post by Dheorl
You say you can't measure love, but I'd be pretty certain you could measure the effects of it.

If you showed a parent a complete stranger dying in front of them or their child dying in front of them I would expect you'd get very different measurements of all the things mentioned in the OP.

technically speaking what you would observe would be the instinct to protect their DNA from vanishing from this world. which you would also see in the stranger dying senerio. which ironically would be a selfish thing to do.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
So in other words , Op secretly has sugar coated lust for his family :O

i have the desire to protect my DNA from being wiped out but love? i suppose you could see it as 'love'
Reply 19
technically speaking what you would observe would be the instinct to protect their DNA from vanishing from this world. which you would also see in the stranger dying senerio. which ironically would be a selfish thing to do.

I know why you have those protective feelings for offspring, and I'd wager they'd be measurably stronger than the stranger dying scenario. What is love if not an instinctual feeling of care for someone. I mean sure, you have the initial romantic lust, but that turns into the protective love.

Latest

Trending

Trending