Should I change university if I feel the teaching and facilities are of bad quality. Watch

mistr_c
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm being torn here because I'm at a uni where I'm really enjoying it, all except the course, which I feel is in bad quality and not really teaching me anything, but it seems to difficult and complicated to change at this point.
JoshDawg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Talk to your course rep and see how they can help you out. Your uni will have a service in place to help students who feel this way. Consider putting in an official complaint too. You are only to benefit from a complaint letter, if you worry about the uni mistreating you they will be skinned alive if that happened.
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can you be more specific? Do you find that you are taught too little and they expect a lot? At university, most courses have few contact hours and you are required to do a lot of background reading, ie. independent learning.

It's not too complicated or too difficult to change. You could reapply to another university and course through UCAS. I mean, the application deadline is 15th January. So you would have a good month to get your application together.
mistr_c
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
Can you be more specific? Do you find that you are taught too little and they expect a lot? At university, most courses have few contact hours and you are required to do a lot of background reading, ie. independent learning.

It's not too complicated or too difficult to change. You could reapply to another university and course through UCAS. I mean, the application deadline is 15th January. So you would have a good month to get your application together.
I find the fact we dont get enough work space and places to work and put our work. I also find how our course stands in comparison to other uni's to be pretty low and terrible
whatcanyoutellme
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mistr_c)
I'm being torn here because I'm at a uni where I'm really enjoying it, all except the course, which I feel is in bad quality and not really teaching me anything, but it seems to difficult and complicated to change at this point.
yes.you only have one opportunity to be a student.you are there to derive the best and get the best quality tuition.why waste your time?
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I find the fact we dont get enough work space and places to work and put our work. I also find how our course stands in comparison to other uni's to be pretty low and terrible
What course are you doing? Do you mean things like library facilities?

Did you know how the course compares to other unis before you started?

If you really don't like it change/leave. You are allowed to get something wrong. If you're in your first year and don't continue to stay on after this year, Student finance would still fund you the new degree. They give you a 'bonus' year in case something like this(your situation) happens.
coolgamer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What course and uni
mistr_c
Rep:
?
I dont want to say which uni cause I dont want to be called out for chatting **** or start a argument, it isnt relevantand I feel it is a personal thing anyway.
mistr_c
Rep:
?
Would I have to write another personal statement?
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I dont want to say which uni cause I dont want to be called out for chatting **** or start a argument, it isnt relevantand I feel it is a personal thing anyway.
It is relevant.

And no one with an ounce of intelligence is going to call you or for chatting **** or start an argument.

If you want proper and detailed advice specific to you, then you are doing yourself a disservice by not giving us all the information we need to give you the best advice possible. Don't be so silly and just tell us the course/ uni.
mistr_c
Rep:
?
(Original post by SophieSmall)
It is relevant.

And no one with an ounce of intelligence is going to call you or for chatting **** or start an argument.

If you want proper and detailed advice specific to you, then you are doing yourself a disservice by not giving us all the information we need to give you the best advice possible. Don't be so silly and just tell us the course/ uni.
Illustration at UCA Farnham
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Illustration at UCA Farnham
Okay good, I personally don't have an arts or illustration background so I can't give specific advice on that. However someone who does may come along, see the course and tell you what it's really like at their university and how it may differ from yours. But it'll help if you can be as specific as possible when describing downsides of your course/ uni.

Have you had a look at illustration courses at other universities? And what was the reason you chose Farnham to begin with?

I think it's pretty safe to say open days and university websites always put their courses and universities in the best possible light and negatives aren't talked about. So I recommend when thinking about switching universities to try to speak to people already studying the course at the universities you are interested. You may well get replies on here, and they'll be able to tell you the downsides that you may not see at open days and how the course is really structured etc. As the last thing you want it to change universities and find yourself with the same problems but in a different place.
mistr_c
Rep:
?
(Original post by SophieSmall)
Okay good, I personally don't have an arts or illustration background so I can't give specific advice on that. However someone who does may come along, see the course and tell you what it's really like at their university and how it may differ from yours. But it'll help if you can be as specific as possible when describing downsides of your course/ uni.

Have you had a look at illustration courses at other universities? And what was the reason you chose Farnham to begin with?

I think it's pretty safe to say open days and university websites always put their courses and universities in the best possible light and negatives aren't talked about. So I recommend when thinking about switching universities to try to speak to people already studying the course at the universities you are interested. You may well get replies on here, and they'll be able to tell you the downsides that you may not see at open days and how the course is really structured etc. As the last thing you want it to change universities and find yourself with the same problems but in a different place.
random question but do you think I would have to write another personal statment?
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
random question but do you think I would have to write another personal statment?
Yep, if you're applying through UCAS again you'll have to submit a personal statement.

If you go the transfer route (where you complete your first year at UCA and start second year somewhere else) I'm not sure, but there is a transfer FAQ page on here somewhere if that is an option you want to consider.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (208)
19.15%
Labour (461)
42.45%
Liberal Democrats (210)
19.34%
Green Party (57)
5.25%
Brexit Party (29)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (16)
1.47%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.92%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.09%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.18%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (3)