Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a high functioning alcoholic.
(Original post by Hydeman)
TSR and drink.
Do you plan on stopping?
Spoiler:
Show
I'd hate to be the judgemental kind but doesn't alcohol do more harm than good?
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by F.Nietzsche)
Do you plan on stopping?
Spoiler:
Show
I'd hate to be the judgemental kind but doesn't alcohol do more harm than good?
No.

Spoiler:
Show
Overall, it's a depressant, yes. But certain kinds of people, and I count myself among them, benefit a great deal from being slightly drunk all the time. It's either this or tobacco so take your pick. :3
F.Nietzsche
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
No.
Spoiler:
Show
Overall, it's a depressant, yes. But certain kinds of people, and I count myself among them, benefit a great deal from being slightly drunk all the time. It's either this or tobacco so take your pick. :3
Spoiler:
Show
Alcohol is really bad for your brain. (In excess that is) As long as you're drinking in moderation that's fine. I understand how it can help but in the long term, it's not so great (I know that it's hard to think about the future with depression). But anyways, you're free to do as you please. (:
troubadour.
Report 3 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Alcohol is really bad for your brain. (In excess that is) As long as you're drinking in moderation that's fine. I understand how it can help but in the long term, it's not so great (I know that it's hard to think about the future with depression). But anyways, you're free to do as you please. (:
Spoiler:
Show
I tend to phrase it as the question, 'would I rather have 50 good years or 100 miserable ones?' I tend towards the former.

Cheers anyway. We'll see if I can find some alternative coping mechanism in the future.
F.Nietzsche
Rep:
?
Spoiler:
Show
I tend to phrase it as the question, 'would I rather have 50 good years or 100 miserable ones?' I tend towards the former.

Cheers anyway. We'll see if I can find some alternative coping mechanism in the future.
Spoiler:
Show
Ah, but you wouldn't want to limit the length of your life knowingly?

I used to cope in not the best of ways to put it mildly, but it's a case of trial and error. I hope you find what works for you. (: Sometimes a good support network in the form of friends, family, therapist or group support sessions can be great.
ivy.98
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Escapism through video games, books, movies, etc. Taking my mind off things and concentrating on something else for a couple of hours usually helps.
We'reAllMadHere
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
- I set up things to look forward to. I know it sounds stupid, but I tend to fixate on certain points in the future and count down the days to that event, even if it's something small. It could be the day a new movie is released or the day I meet my friend at the park, or even the last day of college. I encourage myself to get excited for these events.

- I write. This is a huge escape for me, so I can understand where OP is coming from. Sometimes I get positive feedback for my work, which builds my confidence, and I've made a number of friends through the internet.

- I listen to music and use my imagination. There's something so addictive about plugging in a pair of headphones, putting on a song, and drifting around the room. Sometimes I'm a ninja, or a dancer, or an actor; it all depends on the track.

- I look at my photos. I keep them with me at all times and they never fail to lift my spirits. I have ones of my family, my best friend, and my crush. They remind me of my goals, that life is worth living, that I have people to love, and that I'm loved in return.

- Food. You can't beat a nice bit of chocolate or a fruit smoothie.
F.Nietzsche
Rep:
?
(Original post by We'reAllMadHere)
- I set up things to look forward to. I know it sounds stupid, but I tend to fixate on certain points in the future and count down the days to that event, even if it's something small. It could be the day a new movie is released or the day I meet my friend at the park, or even the last day of college. I encourage myself to get excited for these events.

- I write. This is a huge escape for me, so I can understand where OP is coming from. Sometimes I get positive feedback for my work, which builds my confidence, and I've made a number of friends through the internet.

- I listen to music and use my imagination. There's something so addictive about plugging in a pair of headphones, putting on a song, and drifting around the room. Sometimes I'm a ninja, or a dancer, or an actor; it all depends on the track.

- I look at my photos. I keep them with me at all times and they never fail to lift my spirits. I have ones of my family, my best friend, and my crush. They remind me of my goals, that life is worth living, that I have people to love, and that I'm loved in return.

I do all those things - the littlest things can be really helpful. ^_^
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I ignore it as best I can.

I tend to ignore a lot of things.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by We'reAllMadHere)

The only one on that list I can relate to is food. Because it's tasty as ****.

As for the rest, I like the idea of them. But in practice I hate doing them, I get frustrated and angry and eventually more depressed. It's why I don't take up new hobbies because every time I just end up more miserable than when I started. Guess it really is true not everything works for everyone.
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 3 years ago
Honestly don't know... Just think about people who have no food and water. Then things just seems less depressing to me in my life
troubadour.
Report 3 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Ah, but you wouldn't want to limit the length of your life knowingly?

I used to cope in not the best of ways to put it mildly, but it's a case of trial and error. I hope you find what works for you. (: Sometimes a good support network in the form of friends, family, therapist or group support sessions can be great.
Spoiler:
Show
Not as an aim, but as a consequence it's simply an exercise in judging the cost and benefit of it. Would I potentially sacrifice 50 years of my life, knowing that I can get 50 years of living a relatively contented life with little to none of the crippling health problems that I would otherwise suffer? My admittedly subjective answer is yes.

Thank you for the good wishes.
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I ignore it until I break down.

Then I get it all sorted and I'm in a good place.

Then it happens again.

it's a lovely cycle
F.Nietzsche
Rep:
?
Spoiler:
Show
Not as an aim, but as a consequence it's simply an exercise in judging the cost and benefit of it. Would I potentially sacrifice 50 years of my life, knowing that I can get 50 years of living a relatively contented life with little to none of the crippling health problems that I would otherwise suffer? My admittedly subjective answer is yes.

Thank you for the good wishes.
Spoiler:
Show
No problemo ^_^
F.Nietzsche
Rep:
?
(Original post by arfah)
Honestly don't know... Just think about people who have no food and water. Then things just seems less depressing to me in my life
Do you have depression then? Or is this referring to particular events that have happened in your life?
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 3 years ago
Do you have depression then? Or is this referring to particular events that have happened in your life?
I have mild depression
F.Nietzsche
Rep:
?
(Original post by arfah)
I have mild depression
Ahh okay, because I was wondering generally people with depression can't reason their feelings away. Usually you can't think about poor people and suddenly feel better but if it works for you then great! (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (208)
19.15%
Labour (461)
42.45%
Liberal Democrats (210)
19.34%
Green Party (57)
5.25%
Brexit Party (29)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (16)
1.47%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.92%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.09%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.18%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (3)