The Student Room Group

Is physical attraction important to you?

I'd like to hear your opinions :smile:

If so why and if not, why also?

Would it be shallow not dating someone you're not attracted to but has an awesome personality likewise dating someone because of their looks solely?

Scroll to see replies

I can't ask for much physically :colondollar:

But I'd like to be at least somewhat attracted to her.

Shallow.. I don't know. I guess some degree of physical attraction is important for a succesful relationship.
(edited 8 years ago)
Really quite important tbh. Probably shallow to an extent, but idg how you can have sex with someone you aren't really attracted to :/
Reply 3
Yes, it's important to me.

Physical attraction is part of what makes a relationship different from a friendship. I don't think it's necessarily 100% about how the person looks though, I think it's about having sexual chemistry. I know plenty of guys I can look at and say 'yeah, he's attractive', but that doesn't make me want to sleep with or be with them, there has to be something more than that - a connection of some sort that MAKES you physically attracted to the person. Physical attraction can be instant, or it can develop over time (sometimes for reasons you can't explain!).

If you're not attracted to someone, I actually think it'd be kind of unfair to date them. It's unlikely to be sustainable or fulfilling for either party imo. I'd hate for a guy to date me and to then find out later he wasn't really attracted to me.

Is it THE most important thing? No. But I do think it's important.
Original post by Cherry82

Would it be shallow not dating someone you're not attracted to but has an awesome personality likewise dating someone because of their looks solely?

You could call it shallow but... everyone has preferences, and I don't consider that a bad thing. Being physically attractive is on my list of what I would want in a guy, but so is being funny, honest, anime lover. I think that as long as you don't value it too much over other factors, you'll avoid missing out on being with a genuinely great person.
Reply 5
most people do but i dont cos its not always about the looks but the type of person u are. people do go for looks but they hottest guy or gal they would know might turn out to be jerks.
believe me i liked some boy in my class and he treated me like a real ****. he chose a much prettier girl over me and thoughtout the years he teases me and annoys me. i just put up with it until the end of year 11. now im in college, no one tolerates that **** anymore as we are now grown up.
Personality is a key factor, obviously you have to click, but at the same time Id like a chick that I can go out in public with that turns heads. Therefore physical attraction is a must tbh.
Personally I tend to find someone's personality much more attractive than their physical appearance but I still have to find someone physically attractive to fancy them and I wouldn't say someone was shallow for believing that physical appearance is important to them :smile:
Reply 8
Interesting responses :h:
Original post by LAnre.9
most people do but i dont cos its not always about the looks but the type of person u are. people do go for looks but they hottest guy or gal they would know might turn out to be jerks.
believe me i liked some boy in my class and he treated me like a real ****. he chose a much prettier girl over me and thoughtout the years he teases me and annoys me. i just put up with it until the end of year 11. now im in college, no one tolerates that **** anymore as we are now grown up.

The really hot guys are dumb af :frown: really nice to look at, but when you have a conversation with them :unimpressed:.
I do consider physical attraction to be important, but really it's more about having a balance between what's inside and what's outside.

It wouldn't be very kind to date someone just because of their personality; you'd be wasting both your time and theirs, and you'd probably end up hurting them in the long run.
Imagine if your partner suddenly turned to you and said something like:
"Y'know, you don't look good, but I like your personality so I'm going to give you a shot".

I don't know about you, but I'd find that very upsetting...
well i'm ugly so can't really expect anyone else to be beautiful though it would be nice if they were :colondollar:
Reply 12
i know in it. thats why its best to have conversations with people who are meaningful or have a personality they want to share.
Reply 13
Original post by Cherry82

As I have never felt sexual attraction and probably never will do, I would only date someone with an amazing personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Katty3
As I have never felt sexual attraction and probably never will do, I would only date someone with an amazing personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Asexual? Awesome x
of course!!
Anyone who says otherwise is lying I swear? Otherwise you would just date everyone

I mean, you wouldn't have sexual orientation

if physicality meant nothing in a relationship, then everyone would be pan lol
Reply 16
Guys do you think it's possible to force/ change how you see someone physically? A guy told me I should try and make myself physically attracted to him, that it will come later after some time but I told him I think it's impossible. I've tried and nothing changed. However there are couples where a partner has admitted originally they were not physically attracted to their spouse yet after months/years it changed. I realised later how complex and complicated attraction is.
It and intelligence are both important to me.
Reply 18
Physical attraction is important however I am a firm believer in people becoming more attractive over time due to their personalities so even if i'm not originally that attracted to them, I'll give them a chance :smile:
Original post by ivy.98
Physical attraction is important however I am a firm believer in people becoming more attractive over time due to their personalities so even if i'm not originally that attracted to them, I'll give them a chance :smile:

couldn't have put it better myself tbh :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending