anyone else got a weird combination of A levels? Watch

punkrock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm starting university in 2016 after getting an unconditional offer from leicester with Geology, Geography and Art as my A levels.
I always got comments on how weird it is to mix Art with Earth science, and i was constantly paranoid that i would receive no offers, especially as so many earth science courses were looking for hard science subjects at A level, of which i had none.(i only applied to two courses in the end as i didn't meet the subject requirements for so many!)
Anyone else taken a mix of a levels people consider unorthodox? A mix of arts and sciences perhaps?
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have:

English, French, history, physics, geography, maths, religious studies and government and politics. Some people think physics and maths are weird in there, but physics complements geography and maths complements physics. Also I like them. Also I had to do a science anyway.
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
Me! I do physics, geography and politics. Not sure what I could do with them though
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IFoundWonderland)
I have:

English, French, history, physics, geography, maths, religious studies and government and politics. Some people think physics and maths are weird in there, but physics complements geography and maths complements physics. Also I like them. Also I had to do a science anyway.
wait wait wait

is this A-levels or GCSEs XoX

i do bio, chem and computing and some people think computing is random :/ i also took AS physics for some reason X'D
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by z33)
wait wait wait

IB plus two a levels
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by z33)
wait wait wait

i do bio, chem and computing and some people think computing is random :/ i also took AS physics for some reason X'D
Yeah I'm confused, so many A-levels?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes lmao, it is a great combo for art and design but when you tell someone they are like 'whut..' or 'interesting...'

Biology
Art
Product Design
History
xD
punkrock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by aamirac)
Me! I do physics, geography and politics. Not sure what I could do with them though
interesting! human geography connects to politics maybe? a large part of my A2 geography course was learning about globalisation, including touching on international politics a little. physics just shows how clever you are im sure you'll find something to do with them. i was told when writing my personal statement that as long as i justify why the skills i learnt in my a levels are useful to the degree i want to take then it's all good
heypusheen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some people think that my subject choice of geography, history and IT is a bit weird.
z33
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
IB plus two a levels
oh... is IB easier than A-levels or whut?
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by z33)
oh... is IB easier than A-levels or whut?
No. It's much harder. Some American unis allow you to go straight into second year if you have done the IB.
z33
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. It's much harder. Some American unis allow you to go straight into second year if you have done the IB.
holy **** :O

gurl you CRAZY for taking all of them subjects at IB level :O
why do UK universities want more than 3 or 4 IBs then ._. but 3 A-levels are enough?
it don't make sense...
teenhorrorstory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeahh
Biology, English Literature,Psychology and Latin
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A guy I went to college with took Geology, Computing and Film Studies. One of my friends is also currently studying History, ICT and Psychology
aamirac
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by punkrock)
interesting! human geography connects to politics maybe? a large part of my A2 geography course was learning about globalisation, including touching on international politics a little. physics just shows how clever you are im sure you'll find something to do with them. i was told when writing my personal statement that as long as i justify why the skills i learnt in my a levels are useful to the degree i want to take then it's all good
I guess they interlink. As I do physics I understand the physical side of geography better and as I do politics I can link it to human geography.
Thanks! Just need to find one now :lol:
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by z33)

why do UK universities want more than 3 or 4 IBs then ._. but 3 A-levels are enough?
it don't make sense...
our form teacher was talking to us about IBs the other day and sais how much more useful they were than A levels bc they teach you life stuff, i wouldn't want to do the compulsory things tho
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by z33)

it don't make sense...
You have to do six subjects as part of the IB, plus General knowledge/critical thinking, plus sport, plus charity work, plus music, plus EPQ. I still think that unis don't really understand the IB or how much work is required for it.
z33
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
our form teacher was talking to us about IBs the other day and sais how much more useful they were than A levels bc they teach you life stuff, i wouldn't want to do the compulsory things tho
sounds better than A-levels tbh
but if it's harder then I'm dropping out X'D
z33
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have to do six subjects as part of the IB, plus General knowledge/critical thinking, plus sport, plus charity work, plus music, plus EPQ. I still think that unis don't really understand the IB or how much work is required for it.
Wow... WOW

just reading this is making me stressed :O
daymmmmmmmmmmmm and they want them all at grade A as well - and they don't even acknowledge critical thinking :O

i'm so fricking grateful rn i'm gonna pray brb
Milzime
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hoping to do medicine, and I'm doing Maths Chem Bio and Drama lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.88%
No (43)
12.08%
I'm not old enough (139)
39.04%

Watched Threads