Turn on thread page Beta

Can someone give me their thoughts? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I currently attend a state school and I am in Year 11. I come from a working class background but my grandparents have some money left over from selling their house(This isn't much). My current school only offers the International Baccalaureate and i am leaning towards A levels post 16.

I applied to one of the best private colleges in early November and after doing the admission tests in late November I was informed that I had been accepted to study the subjects that I had chosen in early December. The college offer A level courses.

The subjects that i've been accepted to study at the college are exactly want I wanted and the IB course at my school only allows me to study 1 of those subjects that I want to do.

I've applied to private colleges/schools simply because all the other state school apart from mine in the area aren't very good.

Here's the Dilemma

The college fees are above £20,000 and like I mentioned earlier I am from the working class. If I were to study at the college I would have to persuade my grandparents to help pay some of the fees but the majority of the fees will have to be paid by my parents who will have to work for longer hours than they do now to fund my education. Simply thinking about this makes me feel a little guilty as I don't want to put my parents under pressure. If I were to stay at my school I wouldn't be able to study the subjects I want but my parents wouldn't need to work harder as it is a state school and there are no fees.

So do I go to the private college and study what I want or do I stay at my current school and face something which I don't really want to do?
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    If you cannot afford, then you cannot go despite getting the maximum bursary or scholarship the college may offer. Also, you'll need to think about if you'll be putting your parents in even more of a money struggle by going to this private college..

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your parents and grandparents about it?

BTW, I did the IB.

ReputationRep:
    you dont need to go to a private college to do well.
    dont stay at your school because i dont think thats best for you.

try searching for another college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_mischy)
    Have you spoken to your parents and grandparents about it?

BTW, I did the IB.
    My parents have spoken to me about it and they've repetitively said to me that I should focus on my studies and that they will deal with the financial side of things.

You mentioned that you studied the IB, could you tell me your thoughts on it and perhaps the pros and cons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AthiaKarim)
    you dont need to go to a private college to do well.
    dont stay at your school because i dont think thats best for you.

try searching for another college.
    I've looked long and hard for colleges which are good and a reasonable distance away and are non fee paying but still cannot find one which isn't too far and offer the subjects I want.

That's why i applied to the private ones.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not affordable and will cause undue stress on those such as your parents having to work longer hours I wouldn't see it as worth it, personally.

A realistic option would be to either just attend a state school or look for an entirely different college.

It's your life though, don't take what I or anybody here says without a grain of salt. You know what's best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your parents about your college, also dont you pay the fee after u start working? or is it different to university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalayHKG)
    My parents have spoken to me about it and they've repetitively said to me that I should focus on my studies and that they will deal with the financial side of things.

You mentioned that you studied the IB, could you tell me your thoughts on it and perhaps the pros and cons?
    I feel that the IB prepared me well for uni. I feel that TOK prepared me well for writing good uni essays.
    There's so much talk about A levels, I am really glad I did the IB. However, it doesn't suit everyone.

Pros: A range of subject
    Cons: Sometimes tougher offers from unis

Hmm..I really enjoyed it and I don't know much about A levels so I'm sorry I only gave you a few thoughts. If you have specific questions, just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Talk to your parents about your college, also dont you pay the fee after u start working? or is it different to university
    With the college you pay every term and if you pay I think a week late they charge 2% interest and they could suspend you. It's different to university I think as for uni you get a government loan right? Then after when you get a job you begin paying back those loans.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked long and hard for colleges which are good and a reasonable distance away and are non fee paying but still cannot find one which isn't too far and offer the subjects I want.

That's why i applied to the private ones.
    where do you live? and what subjects did you want to study?

dont you have a city college that you can go to?

it doesnt matter whether the college is reputable or not, ask you teachers for advice and support

whatever you do dont stay at school, my sister did that and had an awful experience. they just babied her, treated her like a child, teachers werent very advanced in teaching at alevel (she also went to a state school)

ReputationRep:
    With the college you pay every term and if you pay I think a week late they charge 2% interest and they could suspend you. It's different to university I think as for uni you get a government loan right? Then after when you get a job you begin paying back those loans.
    Ahh yes ofcourse, but i think student finance fund college i thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_mischy)
    I feel that the IB prepared me well for uni. I feel that TOK prepared me well for writing good uni essays.
    There's so much talk about A levels, I am really glad I did the IB. However, it doesn't suit everyone.

Pros: A range of subject
    Cons: Sometimes tougher offers from unis

Hmm..I really enjoyed it and I don't know much about A levels so I'm sorry I only gave you a few thoughts. If you have specific questions, just ask.
    You mentioned tougher offers for uni. That completely opposes what my head of sixth form tells us as he says " A Levels are much easier and if you do the IB and do well Uni's will offer you a place quicker and you will be more successful with your applications"

What subjects did you study at IB?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I applied to one of the best private colleges in early November and after doing the admission tests in late November I was informed that I had been accepted to study the subjects that I had chosen in early December. The college offer A level courses
    Which college? Does it offer means-tested bursaries or academic scholarships?

Your class is irrelevant. But your family income is relevant and your prospective new school should made be aware of your circumstances. Some can offer assistance.

BTW IB is a perfectly acceptable qualification. You don't need to do A-levels.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Ahh yes ofcourse, but i think student finance fund college i thought.
    Not for -18 education. That's what state schools are there for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AthiaKarim)
    where do you live? and what subjects did you want to study?

dont you have a city college that you can go to?

it doesnt matter whether the college is reputable or not, ask you teachers for advice and support

whatever you do dont stay at school, my sister did that and had an awful experience. they just babied her, treated her like a child, teachers werent very advanced in teaching at alevel (she also went to a state school)
    I live in North West London and all students in my school have a place already at the local city college down the road but it has an INCREDIBLY bad reputation and it has really bad pass rates.

My teachers are all biased i've asked several and they all say "If you've enjoyed your secondary education here then stay here for post 16"

ReputationRep:
    You mentioned tougher offers for uni. That completely opposes what my head of sixth form tells us as he says " A Levels are much easier and if you do the IB and do well Uni's will offer you a place quicker and you will be more successful with your applications"

What subjects did you study at IB?
    When you look at offers, let's take Biology at Cardiff as an example, purely to explain it, they ask for AAB or ABB with an A level in Biology and PREFERABLY Chemistry, whereas for IB the offer is for Biology AND Chemistry HL with 6. So it's tougher.

Funnily enough though, Oxbridge understand how tough the IB is and give offers from 39 upwards.

I don't think they give offers more quickly, but obviously I can't compare it with people who applied with A levels. All my friends did the IB.

I did HL English, Biology and Chemistry
    SL Japanese B, MAths and Psychology

Nevertheless, I would always choose the IB over A levels(for me personallY).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Which college? Does it offer means-tested bursaries or academic scholarships?

Your class is irrelevant. But your family income is relevant and your prospective new school should made be aware of your circumstances. Some can offer assistance.

BTW IB is a perfectly acceptable qualification. You don't need to do A-levels.
    I'm not prepared to name the college but it is located in West London near Kensington.

I understand that the IB is a great qualification it's just the fact that my school offer subjects at sixth form that simply aren't what I want in particular the language. I want to study Mandarin but thats not currently available and I consider the other language options all useless ( French German Spanish Arabic)

Also, the college doesn't offer any type of financial assistance.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear, i dont know any colleges there that i can recommend to you.

im from birmingham, and i went to a college called 'Matthew Boulton Campus'. anyone from birmingham would know what an awful college it is. people just hate it, try to avoid it etc.
    what im trying to say is i went there, knuckled down and did well.
    as long as the college you find is teaching your course, everything else is in your hands.

i taught most of the work to myself during alevel.

sorry i couldnt be as much help
    I live in North West London and all students in my school have a place already at the local city college down the road but it has an INCREDIBLY bad reputation and it has really bad pass rates.

My teachers are all biased i've asked several and they all say "If you've enjoyed your secondary education here then stay here for post 16"

ReputationRep:
    I'm not prepared to name the college but it is located in West London near Kensington.

I understand that the IB is a great qualification it's just the fact that my school offer subjects at sixth form that simply aren't what I want in particular the language. I want to study Mandarin but thats not currently available and I consider the other language options all useless ( French German Spanish Arabic)

Also, the college doesn't offer any type of financial assistance.
    Mandarin isn't offered often for the IB. My school stopped it the year before I started.

I wouldn't say French, Spanish, German or Arabic are useless.

Do you already speak Mandarin? If you have to take ab initio, I don't know how much use it would be, in terms of the level of proficiency you would have at the end. It's not an easy language so it'll take time to speak it well.
    Actually, I wanted to also take Mandarin, but couldn't. I still find the language interesting.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.