Turn on thread page Beta

Question about ATM withdrawal (urgent!!) watch

ReputationRep:
    I know that if you try to make a transaction and you dont have enough money in your account, they charge you for the unsuccessful transaction. But do they also charge you for the unsuccessful transaction if you try to withdraw money x amount from an ATM but have less than x amount in you account? Or do they only charge if you try to pay with the card in a store or something?

ReputationRep:
    I think this depends on who your bank is and whether you have an overdraft.
    I've never had an overdraft so if I physically don't have the money, my card will decline and I'd have to put something back/leave with nothing.
    Usually if you have a student account, the overdraft is 0% interest. If not, you may have so many weeks/day to pay it off before they start charging you - the charge is bank dependent though.

ReputationRep:
    If you try and take money out at an ATM and it is unsucessful - i.e you don't get the money - then no you won't be charged.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just check your balance at the ATM before withdrawing?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.