Why is cis isomers polar but not trans isomers? Watch

CookieHero
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Like for example, a cis-dichloroethene and a trans-dichloroethene.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CookieHero)
Like for example, a cis-dichloroethene and a trans-dichloroethene.
Are you sure that's right? I mean, I don't know, I wasn't explicitly taught this but I don't see why E-dichloroethene wouldn't be polar? It's just that there would be more than one pole?
Infraspecies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Polarity is due to a net dipole in the molecule.

Consider Cis-1,2-dichloroethene.
Both Cl atoms are locked on the same side of the molecule. As you know from electronegativity, both of these bonds will be polar. When you look at the polarity, you will see that the vectors reinforce one another perpendicular to the double bond. Hence, there is an overall dipole.

In the trans version, you see the polarity vectors cancelling one another out, hence there is no overall dipole.
Attached files
Infraspecies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Are you sure that's right? I mean, I don't know, I wasn't explicitly taught this but I don't see why E-dichloroethene wouldn't be polar? It's just that there would be more than one pole?
What is it that you think a dipole is?
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Infraspecies)
What is it that you think a dipole is?
Wouldn't there be a quadrupole in the trans isomer?
Infraspecies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wouldn't there be a quadrupole in the trans isomer?
No.

The electrical dipole moment is calculated as the sum of all the vector products of the partial charges with the displacements of all nuclei in the molecule.
If you will:

iSumN (qi x ri)

This yields a vector answer, as is wanted; the electric dipole moment is a measure of net charge distribution.

Electronic quadrupoles are not what you think they are.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No.

The electrical dipole moment is calculated as the sum of all the vector products of the partial charges with the displacements of all nuclei in the molecule.
If you will:

iSumN (qi x ri)

This yields a vector answer, as is wanted; the electric dipole moment is a measure of net charge distribution.

Electronic quadrupoles are not what you think they are.
That diagram you linked earlier in the thread does seem to make sense. So there would be no local effects at all resulting from the electronegativity of the chlorine?
Infraspecies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That diagram you linked earlier in the thread does seem to make sense. So there would be no local effects at all resulting from the electronegativity of the chlorine?
The C-Cl bond still is polar, yes. It serves to make the allyl carbons even more susceptible to nucleophiles.
However, there is no net molecular dipole.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The C-Cl bond still is polar, yes. It serves to make the allyl carbons even more susceptible to nucleophiles.
However, there is no net molecular dipole.
Would the δ+ end of a water molecule still be attracted to the δ- chlorine (and vice versa for the carbon)?
Infraspecies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Would the δ+ end of a water molecule still be attracted to the δ- chlorine (and vice versa for the carbon)?
If you're asking whether there is a charge density difference the Cl-Cl diagonal and the H-H diagonal, then yes, there is. And this is a quadrupole, yes (I had taken you to mean, by "quadrupole" the existence of two relevant opposing dipoles having an effect). However, the contextually relevant part of this is that it does not generate a molecular solvation effect based on the polar C-Cl bonds. Especially not as in the cis isomer.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're asking whether there is a charge density difference the Cl-Cl diagonal and the H-H diagonal, then yes, there is. And this is a quadrupole, yes (I had taken you to mean, by "quadrupole" the existence of two relevant opposing dipoles having an effect). However, the contextually relevant part of this is that it does not generate a molecular solvation effect based on the polar C-Cl bonds. Especially not as in the cis isomer.
Okay, thank you very much!
Infraspecies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay, thank you very much!
To labour the point, as I so love to do, the boiling point of trans-1,2-dichloroethene is some 30 degrees lower than that of the alternate geometric isomer.
spv
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because, Caitlyn Jenner.
Spoiler:
Show
sorry. the voice in my head made me do it.
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Molecules with a centre of inversion cannot posses a permanent dipole
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (34)
17.89%
Unconditional if firmed (14)
7.37%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
1.05%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (4)
2.11%
No unconditional offers (136)
71.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed