Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to 3 PhD studentships and have put in my personal statements that I'll be attending the BNA symposium on Monday, however I'm coming down with a terrible fever and general illness and don't think I'll be well enough to go.

If I am offered an interview, I'm concerned that they may ask me about it and when I say I didn't attend after all, they may think I was lying and it would negatively affect my application. Also, I was just really looking forward to it

Am I overthinking or is there something I could do that wouldn't affect my chances?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If you already know you're unlikely to make it don't put it on. This sort of thing is unlikely to make or break your application unless you're presenting.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you've already submitted the personal statement. Illnesses and other last-minute changes do happen. If you ever get asked about it just explain you were ill and couldn't attend. I'd be very surprised if they tried reading any more into it than that. Get well soon!

ReputationRep:
    In case you are really worried, you can allways take the initiative and tell them by yourself, so it won't come to awkward silence/looks/bad ideas from them and they won't have the impression you used it, in case they ask you in an interview. Nevertheless, as it was a future event at the time you submitted, it is perfectly fine to get ill and not the same as listening a previous event and not attending. Hence you will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Don't do something if you're ill.

Your personal statement won't be considered a falsification based on something this small. I doubt they'll either give or not give an offer regardless and say no more about it.

Not going will not compromise your application seeing that it's not a key entry requirement.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.