cjlol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there,

I'm currently in my first of five year at the University of Aberdeen studying Geology. I'm not entirely sure whether it's cause of exam season and everything else that I keep thinking this way but I've got this thought in my head that I would rather be studying an Accountancy course, which Aberdeen offers.

The only problem is, I can't take modules alongside geology next semester because of a course timetable clash and now I'm in a massive dilemma.

I was going to try out the course and kind of make a decision on that more but now I can't and I was wondering if anyone has just decided to change course completely without any insight and whether or not it was a good decision for them because I feel like once it's done there really isn't any going back?

Such a big decision.
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is a big decision. I guess you're still at a very early stage of the programme so there is definitely scope to change. You need to speak to the administrator asap and tell them what your options are
cjlol
Rep:
?
Would you think that it's too late to wait until after Christmas?
Dan.N
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi dude, I'm doing Finance&Investment in Aberdeen also, I also deal with accounting as well, so from my point of view, there should be no problem if you decide to switch your course. Only 1 thing is that do your REALLY want to study this new course or not? or it's just because of some difficulties or sth you find not interesting about your current course?
I suggest you should ask someone who's doing the course you want to switch to about their modules, their subjects and every stuffs before you make decision, you can also approach the Student Advisor, I wonder if our uni has this service or not. Coz if you don't find out carefully about it then you will definitely get into the same situation after you switched.
cjlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dan.N)
Hi dude, I'm doing Finance&Investment in Aberdeen also, I also deal with accounting as well, so from my point of view, there should be no problem if you decide to switch your course. Only 1 thing is that do your REALLY want to study this new course or not? or it's just because of some difficulties or sth you find not interesting about your current course?
I suggest you should ask someone who's doing the course you want to switch to about their modules, their subjects and every stuffs before you make decision, you can also approach the Student Advisor, I wonder if our uni has this service or not. Coz if you don't find out carefully about it then you will definitely get into the same situation after you switched.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I really enjoyed studying business at school (obviously accountancy is slightly different and on a different level) so that's why I feel I would like that route.

Do you find the course at Aberdeen pretty interesting? Are the lecturers good?

I think my plan is to go home for Christmas, get away from university and do some research and see how I feel about it all when I come back. Thanks again for your reply!
Dan.N
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yo, you should find out and distinguish carefully between every course, business/international business/finance/every sort of finance/accountancy....because they have different way to study, some course include modules of each other. I think all course has accounting and maybe some kinda further accounting study.
But i only tell you that there are both theoretical modules (HRM, organizational behavior, changes, psychology in business....) and calculative modules( quantitative methods, accounting, corporate finance, finance management....) and they are not easy
So yeah, you'd better understand about every aspect of the new course, ask other people, especially who in academic environment like us, you can even see their exams, exercises, tutorials....think carefully before switching.
In our university, I think...yeah, there r good and bad things about teaching in my field. Sth are about teachers with their way of speaking the god damn Scottish voice, some about not very close to students, not provide slides....but overall, it's mostly about you haha, you know what I mean right?
Think of a whole semester you spent, the reasons why you chose it from the beginning, and the new challenges, separate time for work/study, entertainment and flirting as well.

Remember: not everyone who studies will succeed in future, but not all successful people are uneducated.
malcolmDR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey guys, need help. Long story short, applied in October for medicine, but now want to change to accounting and finance. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to reapply completely for a new course. I applied to 5 unis, got 1 offer and 1 rejection. Im predicted 2A*2A., and wanted to know if I can still to apply to top unis? Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (16)
16.33%
Labour (40)
40.82%
Liberal Democrats (18)
18.37%
Green Party (5)
5.1%
Brexit Party (3)
3.06%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (2)
2.04%
Plaid Cymru (2)
2.04%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)