Cambridge English students- what did you take for A-level? Watch

savandwich
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm in Year 11 and I've been thinking about applying for English at Cambridge. My A-level choices are:

English Literature
Religious Studies
Physics
Maths

I was wondering if Cambridge would be ok with these choices and they're not too... science-y? I understand that the website says that applicants who took sciences are successful, but I'm wondering just how successful they are. Therefore, my question is this- what did successful English Cambridge applicants take for A-level? (and their grades in said A-levels if it's not too much trouble)

Alternatively, I'm considering applying for the Philosophy course and then changing to the English course after a year- is that possible? Thanks.

(This is my first time posting anything I hope I'm doing this right o.o)
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by savandwich)
I'm in Year 11 and I've been thinking about applying for English at Cambridge. My A-level choices are:

English Literature
Religious Studies
Physics
Maths

I was wondering if Cambridge would be ok with these choices and they're not too... science-y? I understand that the website says that applicants who took sciences are successful, but I'm wondering just how successful they are. Therefore, my question is this- what did successful English Cambridge applicants take for A-level? (and their grades in said A-levels if it's not too much trouble)

Alternatively, I'm considering applying for the Philosophy course and then changing to the English course after a year- is that possible? Thanks.

(This is my first time posting anything I hope I'm doing this right o.o)
These are absolutely fine. Many would think History or a language adds to an understanding of English but if they are not the subjects you enjoy or can do well at that is not a reason for changing. Many English students have done Maths as a fourth, fewer would be capable of Physics.
You should be asking about UMS not grades. The overwhelming majority of applicants have AAAA or possibly AAAB. For English it is your highest three UMS that count and you would ideally be scoring >90% for this average.
If you want to do English apply for English.
savandwich
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colmans)
These are absolutely fine. Many would think History or a language adds to an understanding of English but if they are not the subjects you enjoy or can do well at that is not a reason for changing. Many English students have done Maths as a fourth, fewer would be capable of Physics.
You should be asking about UMS not grades. The overwhelming majority of applicants have AAAA or possibly AAAB. For English it is your highest three UMS that count and you would ideally be scoring >90% for this average.
If you want to do English apply for English.
Thank you very much for your answer- so I'll be needing to get as high an average as possible in my A-levels, not matter which ones I take, as long as one is English Literature... looks like I'll be working hard then!
Jayd Shah
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hellooo okay so I'm no English student but I'm an applicant for this cycle! For English a staple would be English Literature - as long as you have it, you're fine. The trick is to RELATE whatever subjects you've got to the subject in your PS ----> for e.g I took Economics, Psychology and Mathematics and somehow tried to relate them to my study. You're subjects seem fine, don't worry and good luck!!! :-)
savandwich
Rep:
?
thank you! I hope your application goes well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (41)
19.34%
Unconditional if firmed (17)
8.02%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.94%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.36%
No unconditional offers (147)
69.34%

Watched Threads