Turn on thread page Beta

WWI - type of war and causes? - History Month watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Fresh off a WWI module at university, I thought that this would be a great discussion.

What type of war was WWI? Was there one major cause for the Great War or must everything be factored in?

- Can it be justified as an imperial war because Britain, France and Germany used soldiers from their colonies in Africa and India, etc?

- Is it still considered mainly an European war because majority of the fighting occurred in Europe?

- Was fighting in the Great War a distraction from domestic affairs for most of powers?

- Or was the international affairs too great to resist?

ReputationRep:
    It was a European war fought over European issues, initially over who would control the Balkans and later the entire east.

To understand WWI you need to understand the contemporary belief in The Geographical Pivot of History. Although I personally regard this theory as dumb for a number of reasons it, or something similar but less clearly expressed, underlay a lot of strategic thinking as late as the 1960 and 70s. The Western powers weren't supremely interested in the Balkan question but were very afraid of a Germany that succeeded in colonising the European Plain as far as the Urals.

ReputationRep:
    I always considered it an inevitable end for two militaristic, policy driven nations, led by cousins.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.