Turn on thread page Beta

Amazing A-level Unit 4 question on synthesis of stuff watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I was doing this past paper (Unit 4 Jan 2010 Edexcel)
    and I came across this delightful question!

What are the products of all of these reactions?

A Hydrolysis of an ester with an alkali.
    B Reaction of acidified potassium manganate(VII) with an alkene.
    C Hydrolysis of a nitrile with hydrochloric acid.
    D Reaction of an acyl chloride with ammonia.

Could someone help me figure the products to all these reactions? I think C is a carboxylic acid

Thank you, you wonderful people!

ReputationRep:
    any chemistry geniuses?

ReputationRep:
    A) For hydrolysis with a dilute alkali we could use NaOH.. so if we react ethyl ethanoate with NaOH we get Sodium Ethanoate and Methanol... ( using an dilute alkali works better than acid because you can separate the mixture of sodium salt and methanol produced also its a one step reaction rather than using an acid which produces an equilibrium.

B) Acidified Potassium Manganate ... that with will give an alcohol..

C) Yes It produces a carboxylic Acid

D) Acyl chloride with excess concentrated ammonia will give you an amide, (the ammonia is in excess and is concentrated as in the mechanism another ammonia comes and attacks the positive nitrogen to relieve it of a proton to lose its positive charge)!

Hope this is ok! I'm doing unit 4 stuff too and its awful
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nikkk09)

More specifically a diol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkk09)
    A) For hydrolysis with a dilute alkali we could use NaOH.. so if we react ethyl ethanoate with NaOH we get Sodium Ethanoate and Methanol... ( using an dilute alkali works better than acid because you can separate the mixture of sodium salt and methanol produced also its a one step reaction rather than using an acid which produces an equilibrium.

C) Yes It produces a carboxylic Acid

D) Acyl chloride with excess concentrated ammonia will give you an amide, (the ammonia is in excess and is concentrated as in the mechanism another ammonia comes and attacks the positive nitrogen to relieve it of a proton to lose its positive charge)!

Hope this is ok! I'm doing unit 4 stuff too and its awful
    Wow, you are amazing! Thanks, we have a test coming on carbonyl compounds Are you doing Edexcel and how are so good? What resources do you use to revise? Sorry for the onslaught of questions,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 13, 2015

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.