Turn on thread page Beta

How not to lose your first language? watch

Announcements

I feel like i am losing the articulation to speak my first language and i don't want to lose it.

I normally speak English but would sometimes speak English and Polish simultaneously. I guess this is understandable since i am 17 but my Polish is 8 years old.

I don't know what to do since everyone i know speaks English including my family members.

ReputationRep:
    Keep it in your wallet and watch that it doesn't jump out when you're not looking.

ReputationRep:
    Probably there are websites in your first language such as for newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    - practise speaking the language out loud, you can do that with family, relatives, friends, or just talk to yourself out loud. This is the main step and it needs to be done regularly
    - watch television, films and videos in your mother tongue
    - buy language books and read them in your spare time to practise pronunciation and grammar, phrases, vocabulary etc
    - attend language courses (including online courses), or get someone to tutor you
    - listen to music, radio and podcasts in your mother tongue

ReputationRep:
    How do I improve my english skills ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm so bad at reading Chinese, I haven't got a clue what is being said it's pretty embarrassing asking people to write in Pinyin.

ReputationRep:
    Stringing together words from multiple languages isn't really that uncommon: think Yiddish and Afrikaans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    I feel like i am losing the articulation to speak my first language and i don't want to lose it.

I normally speak English but would sometimes speak English and Polish simultaneously. I guess this is understandable since i am 17 but my Polish is 8 years old.

I don't know what to do since everyone i know speaks English including my family members.
    Same situation. Just read in Polish Get some books for entertainment, maybe befriend someone, who speaks Polish

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother trying. English is the only language in the world that matters.

ReputationRep:
    English is bothering me so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It can be pretty tricky. These days, I think in English, even dream in English, so when I speak with my family, I sometimes have to translate back to Dutch. After a while, the knowledge kicks back in, though.

So yes, I think regular practice is the best way to go. Books, movies/tv shows, emails, chats... it all helps.

(Original post by saule1116)
    Same situation. Just read in Polish Get some books for entertainment, maybe befriend someone, who speaks Polish
    I guess so.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.