How not to lose your first language? Watch

Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I feel like i am losing the articulation to speak my first language and i don't want to lose it.

I normally speak English but would sometimes speak English and Polish simultaneously. I guess this is understandable since i am 17 but my Polish is 8 years old.

I don't know what to do since everyone i know speaks English including my family members.
Mpagtches
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Keep it in your wallet and watch that it doesn't jump out when you're not looking.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Probably there are websites in your first language such as for newspapers.
Savage R3N3GAD3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
- practise speaking the language out loud, you can do that with family, relatives, friends, or just talk to yourself out loud. This is the main step and it needs to be done regularly
- watch television, films and videos in your mother tongue
- buy language books and read them in your spare time to practise pronunciation and grammar, phrases, vocabulary etc
- attend language courses (including online courses), or get someone to tutor you
- listen to music, radio and podcasts in your mother tongue
tip95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How do I improve my english skills ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
udsjufhbsg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm so bad at reading Chinese, I haven't got a clue what is being said it's pretty embarrassing asking people to write in Pinyin.
Bupdeeboowah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stringing together words from multiple languages isn't really that uncommon: think Yiddish and Afrikaans.
saule1116
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Blackstarr)
I feel like i am losing the articulation to speak my first language and i don't want to lose it.

I normally speak English but would sometimes speak English and Polish simultaneously. I guess this is understandable since i am 17 but my Polish is 8 years old.

I don't know what to do since everyone i know speaks English including my family members.
Same situation. Just read in Polish Get some books for entertainment, maybe befriend someone, who speaks Polish
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't bother trying. English is the only language in the world that matters.
tip95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
English is bothering me so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It can be pretty tricky. These days, I think in English, even dream in English, so when I speak with my family, I sometimes have to translate back to Dutch. After a while, the knowledge kicks back in, though.

So yes, I think regular practice is the best way to go. Books, movies/tv shows, emails, chats... it all helps.
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by saule1116)
Same situation. Just read in Polish Get some books for entertainment, maybe befriend someone, who speaks Polish
I guess so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.8%
Spring (35)
18.52%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.34%
Winter (36)
19.05%
I love them all equally (10)
5.29%