ameenatariq
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
so I didn't do that well in my English language mock I got a C and I was aiming for an A, this is just a mock does it count towards anything else? Because apparently were using them for our applications to apply to sixth form, but we can use our MEGS as well.
lauren.rogers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most sixth forms will ask for a grade from subjects when applying, but depending on which one you're applying for it changes, as some ask for mock exam grades, some ask for target grades and some ask for predicted grades. I'd say check first with what the one you're interested in wants

Also, don't worry about not getting what you were aiming for in the mocks, just use it as motivation to do better and see where you went wrong. I got a C in my English Language in my mock too, but then I got some great tips and achieved an A in the real exams. As long as you try and do some more practice papers you'll do great
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauren.rogers)
Most sixth forms will ask for a grade from subjects when applying, but depending on which one you're applying for it changes, as some ask for mock exam grades, some ask for target grades and some ask for predicted grades. I'd say check first with what the one you're interested in wants

Also, don't worry about not getting what you were aiming for in the mocks, just use it as motivation to do better and see where you went wrong. I got a C in my English Language in my mock too, but then I got some great tips and achieved an A in the real exams. As long as you try and do some more practice papers you'll do great
Im applying to my school's sixth form and they're asking for current,predicted and mock grades so will my mock grade affect anything?
Could you please give me some tips! I really want to get an A in the real exam especially because English is not my strong point.
lauren.rogers
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, it's no problem

For English Language it really involves a lot of practise papers, I know everyone says thar but it's definitly the best way to revise.

As for techinques in the writing exam I used an list of things that I made sure to include in my answer (if you've heard of AFORREST it's like that but with higher level skills) and it's called PASSCARDS

P - Punctuation, a variety of
A - Anecdotes
S - Statistics
S - Structure (address&date for letters, title&subheadings for leaflets)
C - Controversial statement - begin with something quite opinionated and it will help start you off
A - Ambitious vocab (but make sure it's correct and relevant)
R - Rhetorical questions, at the right point though (and maybe make it into a one line paragraph)
D - Direct address (when appropriate)
S - Sentence length (a mix of lengths, sometimes maybe just one word)

For the reading exam you need to split it up into the four questions and remember what each question is asking for
Q1) CUT & PASTE - use 10 embedded quotes
Q2) OPINION - look for relevant emotive language and make your answer concise)
Q3) DEVICE/MESSAGE - look for techniques like satire and hyperbole but make sure you explain what it's used for
Q4) COMPARISON/SUMMARY - chunk up the paragraphs in each text and compare the writers attitudes (you don't need devices here)

I hope this is useful for you, good luck with your revision and exams
TianaEsther
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry about this, mocks can be used for predicted grades which you may need to give to some schools if you're applying to them, but even if they're too low and you get rejected you could still manage to get the grade during your real exams and then apply to the school at results day.
(Mock grades don't really count for anything else, just an indication of where you are at the moment but you can always improve! For English I got D's in both my mocks and had an A in my actual exam.)
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauren.rogers)
Hi, it's no problem

For English Language it really involves a lot of practise papers, I know everyone says thar but it's definitly the best way to revise.

As for techinques in the writing exam I used an list of things that I made sure to include in my answer (if you've heard of AFORREST it's like that but with higher level skills) and it's called PASSCARDS

P - Punctuation, a variety of
A - Anecdotes
S - Statistics
S - Structure (address&date for letters, title&subheadings for leaflets)
C - Controversial statement - begin with something quite opinionated and it will help start you off
A - Ambitious vocab (but make sure it's correct and relevant)
R - Rhetorical questions, at the right point though (and maybe make it into a one line paragraph)
D - Direct address (when appropriate)
S - Sentence length (a mix of lengths, sometimes maybe just one word)

For the reading exam you need to split it up into the four questions and remember what each question is asking for
Q1) CUT & PASTE - use 10 embedded quotes
Q2) OPINION - look for relevant emotive language and make your answer concise)
Q3) DEVICE/MESSAGE - look for techniques like satire and hyperbole but make sure you explain what it's used for
Q4) COMPARISON/SUMMARY - chunk up the paragraphs in each text and compare the writers attitudes (you don't need devices here)

I hope this is useful for you, good luck with your revision and exams
thank you so much i will use this when practising past papers in the Christmas holidays!!!!!
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
(Original post by TianaEsther)
Don't worry about this, mocks can be used for predicted grades which you may need to give to some schools if you're applying to them, but even if they're too low and you get rejected you could still manage to get the grade during your real exams and then apply to the school at results day.
(Mock grades don't really count for anything else, just an indication of where you are at the moment but you can always improve! For English I got D's in both my mocks and had an A in my actual exam.)
omg thank you for the motivation! i had completely lost hope
TianaEsther
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ameenatariq)
omg thank you for the motivation! i had completely lost hope
Don't lose hope! It's way too early for that! Just do what I did - practice EVERY past paper (I did that at least twice or three times) no matter how boring it is. It will pay off in the end
lauren.rogers
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thank you so much i will use this when practising past papers in the Christmas holidays!!!!!
no problem, good luck!
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
Don't lose hope! It's way too early for that! Just do what I did - practice EVERY past paper (I did that at least twice or three times) no matter how boring it is. It will pay off in the end
is there anywhere i can find more English past papers?
TianaEsther
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
is there anywhere i can find more English past papers?
You could ask your school to supply some for you, if not you can always call AQA. I heard that you have to pay for the exam questions that have been taken off their website (like around £20 each I believe) so there's that if you're willing to pay.
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
You could ask your school to supply some for you, if not you can always call AQA. I heard that you have to pay for the exam questions that have been taken off their website (like around £20 each I believe) so there's that if you're willing to pay.
Can't i just randomly pick articles online to practise question 1,2 and possibly 3 on?
TianaEsther
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can't i just randomly pick articles online to practise question 1,2 and possibly 3 on?
You could, but I believe the articles that AQA have chosen are ones that will be able to score you marks for sure. I.e. you might come across an article on the Internet or wherever and not be able to find enough points
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
You could, but I believe the articles that AQA have chosen are ones that will be able to score you marks for sure. I.e. you might come across an article on the Internet or wherever and not be able to find enough points
true but its still a good way because sometimes i find it difficult to find point so in a way it will prepare me?
TianaEsther
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
true but its still a good way because sometimes i find it difficult to find point so in a way it will prepare me?
I completely agree with you! I think it would be very beneficial, my teachers recommended analysing billboards or posters and stuff. I just think it would be better to complete all AQA resources available first
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
I completely agree with you! I think it would be very beneficial, my teachers recommended analysing billboards or posters and stuff. I just think it would be better to complete all AQA resources available first
lol i just don't want to wast money when i can use online resources.
TianaEsther
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol i just don't want to wast money when i can use online resources.
I felt the exact same way. It is still very much possible to get A*/A without buying anything
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
I felt the exact same way. It is still very much possible to get A*/A without buying anything
okay thanks for your help!
TianaEsther
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
okay thanks for your help!
No worries! Wish you all the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (83)
18.65%
Labour (185)
41.57%
Liberal Democrats (91)
20.45%
Green Party (33)
7.42%
Brexit Party (15)
3.37%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.35%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.12%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)