Feeling depressed on year abroad Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 49 years ago
Hi I'm a twenty year old and I've started my year abroad in September. I've had trouble sleeping since the beginning so it's obviously been really hard for me to settle in. I thought it'd get better, but it didn't. I'd never just go home because I'm a tiny bit homesick but I struggle a lot here, whilst when I'm home I'm fine. I definitely want to just go home early, but as I'm a language student, this year count towards my degree. I know people at my uni have left/not done the year abroad because of mental health issues but I have a rather unhelpful tutor and she basically told me to stick it out even though I told her I was really unhappy. Will they have to let me go if I get a doctor's note? I don't want to give up my degree as I enjoy learning, I just don't want to be here anymore.
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi I'm a twenty year old and I've started my year abroad in September. I've had trouble sleeping since the beginning so it's obviously been really hard for me to settle in. I thought it'd get better, but it didn't. I'd never just go home because I'm a tiny bit homesick but I struggle a lot here, whilst when I'm home I'm fine. I definitely want to just go home early, but as I'm a language student, this year count towards my degree. I know people at my uni have left/not done the year abroad because of mental health issues but I have a rather unhelpful tutor and she basically told me to stick it out even though I told her I was really unhappy. Will they have to let me go if I get a doctor's note? I don't want to give up my degree as I enjoy learning, I just don't want to be here anymore.
Hm...problem is - no offense - what you are describing sounds like being home sick and not mentally ill ... so think twice, because uni probably wants to have more evidence and won't accept a student coming home and suddenly having no mental health problems no more ... (seems difficult for me to get a doctor's note for that, as it sounds, as you would need to be freed from passing an entire year of your degree...) Of course I have no idea, how you really feel and what help your uni abroad offers, but really think twice and try to get help at your uni abroad, too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (8)
20%
Labour (18)
45%
Liberal Democrats (6)
15%
Green Party (1)
2.5%
Brexit Party (1)
2.5%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (2)
5%
Plaid Cymru (1)
2.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)