The Student Room Group

Is there any hope to get a graduate job with a 2:2

Hi there,

I am doing a degree in Business Management I graduate in June however finding internships has been a great struggle.

In terms of work experience, I have 18 months at a supermarket working as a online shopper and i have worked with my uncle in a restaurant doing financial stuff such as: profit, losses, finding cheap suppliers etc.. i was also working on the till at times.

In terms of my degree, I am doing Business Management at a russell group university in London. For both years I have scored a 2:2 I need like 65+ for a 2:1 however it seems very difficult for me as the compulsory modules do not interest me plus they are things I am not really good at!

Is there hope with me still? If I get a 2:2 can my work experience help me?

What tips would you give me?
(edited 8 years ago)
It'll be a whole lot more difficult as many employers don't even consider anything below a 2:1.
Reply 2
There is a decent amount of graduate schemes requiring 2.2 from applicants, the one I am about to start accepted 2.2 as long as you had work experience.
Very difficult.
Original post by Benzema9
Hi there,

I am doing a degree in Business Management I graduate in June however finding internships has been a great struggle.

In terms of work experience, I have 18 months at a supermarket working as a online shopper and i have worked with my uncle in a restaurant doing financial stuff such as: profit, losses, finding cheap suppliers etc.. i was also working on the till at times.

In terms of my degree, I am doing Business Management at a russell group university in London. For both years I have scored a 2:2 I need like 65+ for a 2:1 however it seems very difficult for me as the compulsory modules do not interest me plus they are things I am not really good at!

There are some graduate schemes and graduate jobs not through graduate schemes where they look at the whole person rather than requiring a 2:1 so it is possible. Having the work experience will help, particularly if you are able to think in terms of the competencies gained from it e.g. teamwork, problem solving, as well as what you actually did. Then its down to being able to get through all the hurdles like online tests for the big grad schemes & writing a good tailored cover letter & CV for others and then passing interviews/assessment centres. As you said before you've been unable to get an internship before it might be worth going to your uni careers centre to see if they can help you strengthen your applications.
Reply 5
I was in your position last year with a 2.2 law degree. Honestly , it hasn't stopped me as much as I thought it would in terms of getting to the interview stage for strict 2.1 requirement jobs. I did have to make my application stand out and write really persuasive covering letters which other candidates with a 2.1 probably didn't have to do.
At the end I didn't get the jobs due as I didn't interview well at first ( suffer from anxiety ) but I did get interviews which means I could have potentially got the job.

I think your best chance is with smaller companies that may overlook your degree result. There are companies out there that would consider a 2.2 if the rest of your application is strong. It might just take a little longer to get your ideal job though
Original post by dbdb
I was in your position last year with a 2.2 law degree. Honestly , it hasn't stopped me as much as I thought it would in terms of getting to the interview stage for strict 2.1 requirement jobs. I did have to make my application stand out and write really persuasive covering letters which other candidates with a 2.1 probably didn't have to do.
At the end I didn't get the jobs due as I didn't interview well at first ( suffer from anxiety ) but I did get interviews which means I could have potentially got the job.

I think your best chance is with smaller companies that may overlook your degree result. There are companies out there that would consider a 2.2 if the rest of your application is strong. It might just take a little longer to get your ideal job though

Did you get a job in the end?
It will be more difficult. I watched my boyfriend go through it with a 2:2 in applied chem and chemical engineering. I think just keep applying and not just going for traditional graduate schemes. In your case maybe look at start ups and smaller companies that you can excel at and go on to do well.
if its in it/business there are quite a few graduate schemes that accept a 2.2 now, an actual job is no easy task regardless of degree classification albeit.
Original post by Benzema9
Hi there,

I got a 3rd and I got a job like 3-4 months into my job search. Whilst I mentioned to most places the reason for my 3rd (had some mental issues and depression), the recruitment agency that helped me the most... didn't actually ask me anything about the reason for my grade. The company hiring me, asked me in my interview despite having seen my application beforehand... so clearly they liked me as a person.

A person makes the grades, the grades don't make a person.

If you are determined and fight it out with honesty, you can still get a job - although it may take some time to find what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending