Should we abolish the Monarchy? Watch

Poll: Should we abolish the Monarchy?
The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.
Milzime
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really don't think so...
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by #Whitehouse)
Economically they make sense. They bring the country a lot of money through the queens estate. But personally i do not really like them. Their accents annoy me, and how they think they can always be in the public eye and remain private and behind closed doors. One thing is for sure they ordered someone to take out Diane
i was not aware there was a Diane in the Royal Family ?

some missteak surely ?

:holmes:
mangala
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
pedos
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10126864.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-sentence.html

elitist
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...became-3712238 everyone except them is a commoner

scroungers
this was actually a joke bc of the elitist mentality they have that all poor people are benefit scroungers, but they get £334,000,000 per year for job seekers allowance http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...e-cost-5931497 and a free 775 room council house
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sleepysnooze)
there is no way of legitimising the existence of a monarchy regarding how a fair state should operate, so yes.
the idea that the monarchy creates tourism, too, is hugely weak.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The money/tourist argument for keeping the monarchy is poor and illogical.
TheRadUser
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
The money/tourist argument for keeping the monarchy is poor and illogical.
You have to be utterly braindead to conflate palaces and history to the institution of the monarchy, I mean France does fine with their palaces even though they have no monarch.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheRadUser)
You have to be utterly braindead to conflate palaces and history to the institution of the monarchy, I mean France does fine with their palaces even though they have no monarch.
Exactly, tourists come her because of the history of our monarchy and the buildings and structures, not because we have a current queen.
TheRadUser
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Exactly, tourists come her because of the history of our monarchy and the buildings and structures, not because we have a current queen.
You know what I would do BB

Stick the old ***** in a council flat and open up the palace all year round
nick2491
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You know what I would do BB

Stick the old ***** in a council flat and open up the palace all year round

Mmmmm...mindless vengeance...nice...

It's actually rather a good thing that the current monarch has certain powers in relation to government, e.g. the power to refuse a freshly elected prime minister the right to take office. Also, the police and armed forces swear their oath of loyalty to the current monarch - so if, god forbid, an extremist government of any persuasion were elected, be it the imbeciles of Britain First etc, or anyone else whose approach to people they don't like consists of forced expulsion or bullets in the head, the Queen can refuse them the right to take power, and the armed forces will support her.

In case anyone thinks this isn't important, remember that one of the first things people like Hitler or pretty much any dictator does is make the armed forces swear loyalty to them direct, there's a reason for that.

Also, the Royal Estate gives 85% of its profits to the government, so they don't actually cost you a penny. It's all very well saying 'take it all off them' as they are minted compared to the rest of us, but taking money off everyone who's got more money than you works very well until you're the richest person in the room, then all of a sudden you'll see the drawbacks...
TheRadUser
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nick2491)
Mmmmm...mindless vengeance...nice...

It's actually rather a good thing that the current monarch has certain powers in relation to government, e.g. the power to refuse a freshly elected prime minister the right to take office. Also, the police and armed forces swear their oath of loyalty to the current monarch - so if, god forbid, an extremist government of any persuasion were elected, be it the imbeciles of Britain First etc, or anyone else whose approach to people they don't like consists of forced expulsion or bullets in the head, the Queen can refuse them the right to take power, and the armed forces will support her.

In case anyone thinks this isn't important, remember that one of the first things people like Hitler or pretty much any dictator does is make the armed forces swear loyalty to them direct, there's a reason for that.

Also, the Royal Estate gives 85% of its profits to the government, so they don't actually cost you a penny. It's all very well saying 'take it all off them' as they are minted compared to the rest of us, but taking money off everyone who's got more money than you works very well until you're the richest person in the room, then all of a sudden you'll see the drawbacks...

How is that vengeance? There are people born into living in social housing who will never leave the ghetto.

Blahblahblah rich people, I have nothing but respect for self-made business people, I have no respect for aristocracy, the divine right of kings, the Church or any of this cancerous bull****
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm sure this has been debated hundreds of times in the past, but another time can't hurt.

All I will say is that it's no coincidence that constitutional monarchies make up seven of the ten most democratic countries, six of the ten countries with the greatest respect for the rule of the law, seven of the ten countries with the lowest levels of corruption and seven of the ten most politically free countries in the world. Clearly, even if you ignore the tourism and tradition arguments, there's something to be said for the monarchical principle.
nick2491
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Using the phrase 'old *****' does rather give it away...
And I'm not suggesting that anyone deserves respect they haven't earnt, just consider the safeguards that a monarchy can impose on an elected government provide. You can benefit from that without having to respect anyone involved. You may think it won't happen here, but then so did most German Jews in the 20's and 30's, not to mention numerous citizens of Japan, most South American countries at some point, most countries in the Middle East and Far East, Russia/USSR, Africa, Eastern Europe...did I miss anyone?
sleepysnooze
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
seen that video and billion times, child. it's mostly ill-informed improper-ganda.
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
they are a symbol of inequality
sw651
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How is that vengeance? There are people born into living in social housing who will never leave the ghetto.

Blahblahblah rich people, I have nothing but respect for self-made business people, I have no respect for aristocracy, the divine right of kings, the Church or any of this cancerous bull****
If you have a problem with the aristocracy then blame your ancestors you idiot. It is more than likely that your ancestors believed that whoever ruled had a divine right to rule. You also seem to forget how this people became royals. The divine right of Kings and rulers was thrown out after Charles the first. These people cost you literally FIFTY pence. Those on benefits cost you far more.

Have you ever considered the fact that the Queen is one of the few reasons we have good diplomatic relations, what's about the thousands of jobs for the Queen's guard and households. The tourism. The fact that our monarchy are the only reason we have a strong currency. Your narrow minded views astound me, I can guess your are left leaning and a Corbynite. Get real.
TheRadUser
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sw651)
If you have a problem with the aristocracy then blame your ancestors you idiot. It is more than likely that your ancestors believed that whoever ruled had a divine right to rule. You also seem to forget how this people became royals. The divine right of Kings and rulers was thrown out after Charles the first. These people cost you literally FIFTEEN pence. Those on benefits cost you far more.

Have you ever considered the fact that the Queen is one of the few reasons we have good diplomatic relations, what's about the thousands of jobs for the Queen's guard and households. The tourism. The fact that our monarchy are the only reason we have a strong currency. Your narrow minded views astound me, I can guess your are left leaning and a Corbynite. Get real.
Your threads are a ****fest of criticising feminism, claiming to be a 'meninist' and saying the poor don't deserve welfare.

This mini-essay you have written out, doesn't surprise me at all
sw651
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mangala)
pedos
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10126864.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-sentence.html

elitist
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...became-3712238 everyone except them is a commoner

scroungers
this was actually a joke bc of the elitist mentality they have that all poor people are benefit scroungers, but they get £334,000,000 per year for job seekers allowance http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...e-cost-5931497 and a free 775 room council house
So let's see. We have a whistle blower who cannot back up his claims. A NOT ROYAL Bishop. And someone who married into royalty because she loved a prince, from the reputable mirror.

The Queen brings in almost a BILLION in tourist industry mate. And the mirror is a pro labour newspaper mate. Please backup your claims elsewhere
sw651
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your threads are a ****fest of criticising feminism, claiming to be a 'meninist' and saying the poor don't deserve welfare.

This mini-essay you have written out, doesn't surprise me at all
As most of the smarter TSR users pointed out I made the meninist thing as a joke.
And actually I never said that at all, I said the system was broken.

Can we stay on the topic at hand, or are you going to continue making asinine comments because you are incapable of offering a proper response.
#Whitehouse
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
i was not aware there was a Diane in the Royal Family ?

some missteak surely ?

:holmes:
Princess Diane/Dianna who was murdered in france for being pregnant with Dodi Fayed's kid. The royal family did not want an inpurity in the family. So murdered the both of them- the queen ordered the operation.
TheRadUser
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sleepysnooze)
seen that video and billion times, child. it's mostly ill-informed improper-ganda.
At least you're a proper capitalist rather than this social conservative Tory BS

(Original post by sw651)
As most of the smarter TSR users pointed out I made the meninist thing as a joke.And actually I never said that at all, I said the system was broken.Can we stay on the topic at hand, or are you going to continue making asinine comments because you are incapable of offering a proper response.
I'm not going to give anyone a proper response if they're so braindead they think that without the royal family, tourism would cease to exist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (21)
37.5%
No I don't (24)
42.86%
I work during the holidays (11)
19.64%

Watched Threads