Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Civil Service Fast Stream is something that looks like a great opportunity and I think I would love the programme, however I am anxious to find out to what extent the image which the Government website displays matches reality. I would be very grateful if people who have experience with scheme and the civil service in general can tell me of their experiences or any of those who they may know.

Specifically I am concerned with the extent to which red tape and bureaucracy limit the ability of employees to achieve anything meaningful and also the assertion that there are large numbers of people who are there simply for a good pension and an easy ride or can get away with being sub-standard due to the heavy anti-discrimination/over political correctness which I have heard a lot about.

I see it is a great opportunity to work in a high pressure environment and achieve meaningful/significant results however I am concerned that the issues listed above may prevent this from being the case. I may be completely wrong however I have been told by a relative with experience in the Civil service that the above issues are extremely prevalent and would like a wider opinion.

Any contributions or information is gratefully received!
    (Not graduating this year but I am considering my options post university in advance)

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic thread and no responses. I'm intrigued!

Bump

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.