Warning due to low attendance at UCL. Will I be barred from my assessment? Watch

Samantha303
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I missed 4 out of 10 of the seminars of one of my maths modules. There will be a bar in place which will not give me permission to attend my assessment.
I got an email asking me to make an appointment with the programme director and to sign a learning agreement to lift the bar.
I am really worried now. Will I be barred from my assessment?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Samantha303)
I missed 4 out of 10 of the seminars of one of my maths modules. There will be a bar in place which will not give me permission to attend my assessment.
I got an email asking me to make an appointment with the programme director and to sign a learning agreement to lift the bar.
I am really worried now. Will I be barred from my assessment?
According to what you've told us, you will be barred if a) you refuse to sign the learning agreement or b) you sign the learning agreement and then break it. If they're that serious about attendance and you continue to skip seminars etc, you should be aware that you can be kicked out of uni for failure to engage with your course.

Go to the meeting, agree to do everything they ask, sign the agreement and then do what that says. You should then be allowed to do the assessment.

If you have any extenuating circumstances for missing the seminars (illness etc), then be prepared to explain that. Although it would have been better done at the time, there may be some leeway given.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You know the answer - you told us in your post. It seems pretty clear-cut.

You're almost certainly over the age of 18 so you should be taking responsibility for your actions. If you keep missing seminars without good reason this is one of the possible consequences.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Another point to note is that, from your recent posts, you'e applying for incredibly competitive finance jobs. The last thing you need is a lukewarm reference - and that damage will already have been done. It may be worth asking your programme leader about how you might pull this aspect back for yourself.
Samantha303
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
Another point to note is that, from your recent posts, you'e applying for incredibly competitive finance jobs. The last thing you need is a lukewarm reference - and that damage will already have been done. It may be worth asking your programme leader about how you might pull this aspect back for yourself.
Hi thanks for your comment.

I am doing a MSc so I already have pretty good references from my undergrad.

I literally just missed ONE seminar more than the stipulated requirement of ONE of the modules :'(
And I am quite interested to know from UCL students what the learning agreement usually entails.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
An employer will usually expect a reference from your most recent uni course. If you intend to omit a reference from your Masters course, you will at least need to have a plausible reason for doing that.

I literally just missed ONE seminar more than the stipulated requirement of ONE of the modules :'(
If it was a stated requirement up front, that doesn't leave any wiggle room for "just" missing one more. Not unless you have a reason for doing so which might carry some weight with your programme leader.

And I am quite interested to know from UCL students what the learning agreement usually entails.
Google is your friend in this respect:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-m...ing-agreements

Beyond the online process linked above, your learning agreement will be tailored to your individual circumstances. Nobody here can tell you anything more.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For info, these are the circumstances under which you might be barred from your forthcoming assessment:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-m...ts/barring#top

You can see from this link, that UCL have a stated minimum attendance requirement of 70%, after which action will be taken. Some departments/courses/units may have higher requirements, so that's worth bearing in mind for next term.

I'm quite surprised that this requirement and the implications of not meeting it, weren't stressed at the start of your course. It's something you might want to raise with your pogramme leader, as an issue which needs a higher profile.
Samantha303
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
An employer will usually expect a reference from your most recent uni course. If you intend to omit a reference from your Masters course, you will at least need to have a plausible reason for doing that.

If it was a stated requirement up front, that doesn't leave any wiggle room for "just" missing one more. Not unless you have a reason for doing so which might carry some weight with your programme leader.

Google is your friend in this respect:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-m...ing-agreements

Beyond the online process linked above, your learning agreement will be tailored to your individual circumstances. Nobody here can tell you anything more.

I have googled it but thanks
I am going to use my personal tutor in undergrad who had known me for 3 years anyway. I don't feel confident that any of my masters tutors can offer a reference as good as hers, had I not missed any classes.
I don't think an employer will care. Most of my friends just use any reference they like anyway and they never had a problem.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have googled it but thanks
Then you know all that you're going to, until you attend the meeting.

I don't think an employer will care. Most of my friends just use any reference they like anyway and they never had a problem.
I've been involved with graduate recruitment, and it would certainly be noticed and commented on in my field. All of the jobs I've applied for recently, have asked for references from my two most recent employers or academic institutions. Sounds like it's different in the City.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi thanks for your comment.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances you should be attending more than the bare minimum required.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (51)
21.43%
Unconditional if firmed (18)
7.56%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.84%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.1%
No unconditional offers (162)
68.07%

Watched Threads