sknmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Basically I'm in year 12 atm, and I'm finding AS Maths (C1,S1,C2) quite manageable and not too tricky.

However, I was just doing some research for university courses at places like LSE, Oxford, UCl and have found for courses like Econ/E&M/Finance an A is strongly preferred is Further Maths. However, my school have not allowed me to take further maths as I was not in the top set for maths last year. I got an A* in IGCSE Maths if that gives any indication, but gcse is very oversimplified as you will probably know.

Is there anyone here that has self taught FM or done it through a tutor outside of school? If you could offer any advice it would be much appreciated.
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sknmaster)
Basically I'm in year 12 atm, and I'm finding AS Maths (C1,S1,C2) quite manageable and not too tricky.

However, I was just doing some research for university courses at places like LSE, Oxford, UCl and have found for courses like Econ/E&M/Finance an A is strongly preferred is Further Maths. However, my school have not allowed me to take further maths as I was not in the top set for maths last year. I got an A* in IGCSE Maths if that gives any indication, but gcse is very oversimplified as you will probably know.

Is there anyone here that has self taught FM or done it through a tutor outside of school? If you could offer any advice it would be much appreciated.
If you enjoy maths and aren't just doing it because it's a good qualification then you'll have no problems with it
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I taught myself all of further maths - as my school never offered it to me - my school isn't one where people typically get 'good' grades. I learnt it all in the 6 weeks holiday, because I knew that once it go into the start of the year it would be much more difficult. My advice is to try and learn a lot of t in the Christians holding coming up. If you're learning only the AS then you could pretty much finish it. When I was learning it I pretty much did it all day every day but I learnt it all in about 4 weeks. You don't have to go that extreme but the more you put into it the better.
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Once you have learnt all the content and tried the past papers you should be ok with further maths then. You should be solid at normal A level maths though. You need to know all of the core maths modules for FP2 for example. In FP2 knowledge form C1-4 will be assumed and will not be specifically tested.
DylanJ42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by B_9710)
Once you have learnt all the content and tried the past papers you should be ok with further maths then. You should be solid at normal A level maths though. You need to know all of the core maths modules for FP2 for example. In FP2 knowledge form C1-4 will be assumed and will not be specifically tested.
I have no idea how people like you finish those books so quickly, it takes me about 4 weeks per book...
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DylanJ42)
I have no idea how people like you finish those books so quickly, it takes me about 4 weeks per book...
I literally woke up and started doing maths. Only stopped when I went to sleep - really late in the holiday aswell. So I was doing probably 12 hours a day or more.
DylanJ42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I literally woke up and started doing maths. Only stopped when I went to sleep - really late in the holiday aswell. So I was doing probably 12 hours a day or more.
:eek: very impressive
Louisb19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Back when I was blazing through them I would do about a module per week. FP3 took about a month however...
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Louisb19)
Back when I was blazing through them I would do about a module per week. FP3 took about a month however...
Edexcel?
DylanJ42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I get quite tired very quickly when doing new maths, and start making mistakes such as  \frac{x}{4} = 8 therefore   x = 2... basically my maths ability is like A=\frac{1}{t}, A being ability and t being time
Louisb19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Edexcel?
Yes.
Louisb19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I get quite tired very quickly when doing new maths, and start making mistakes such as  \frac{x}{4} = 8 therefore   x = 2... basically my maths ability is like A=\frac{1}{t}, A being ability and t being time
I guess if you enjoy doing it as a hobby then this is not really a problem. Be sure to take breaks while studying.
DylanJ42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess if you enjoy doing it as a hobby then this is not really a problem. Be sure to take breaks while studying.
I guess, still 4 weeks per book will get me done long before the exams
ombtom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

My school wouldn't even let me do normal maths A-level. Taught myself that in year 12. Now I'm teaching myself AS and A2 further maths. You can certainly do it, as long as you are able to dedicate enough time.
Louisb19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess, still 4 weeks per book will get me done long before the exams
EDIT: Woops I thought I was replying to another thread.

If you can get the content finished quickly then you can make sure you get as close to 100 ums as possible.
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ombtom)
My school wouldn't even let me do normal maths A-level. Taught myself that in year 12. Now I'm teaching myself AS and A2 further maths. You can certainly do it, as long as you are able to dedicate enough time.
WTF you're doing M5 and they wouldn't let you do normal!?

Twits, those guys xD
sknmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
if i'm doing c1,c2,s1 this year and c3,c4,m1 next year what modules will i need to take for as fm (OCR)?

also can anyone recommend the best resources for learning it, I know there are websites and videos online for help, but for specifically learning the content should i just buy the textbooks?
ombtom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Student403)
WTF you're doing M5 and they wouldn't let you do normal!?

Twits, those guys xD
*Going to attempt M5. I'm currently stuck on M4 2D kinematics.
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ombtom)
*Going to attempt M5. I'm currently stuck on M4 2D kinematics.
Oh! Need any help? 2D kinematics sounds like something I've done in my M3... :O
ombtom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if i'm doing c1,c2,s1 this year and c3,c4,m1 next year what modules will i need to take for as fm (OCR)?

also can anyone recommend the best resources for learning it, I know there are websites and videos online for help, but for specifically learning the content should i just buy the textbooks?
Maybe buy some cheap textbooks for the practise questions. They're not the best resource for learning content, although someone else might disagree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (208)
19.14%
Labour (462)
42.5%
Liberal Democrats (210)
19.32%
Green Party (57)
5.24%
Brexit Party (29)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (16)
1.47%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.92%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.09%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.18%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (3)