apc9000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all

Mature student (37) who is applying for a BSc Paramedic Science course. I currently work in the medical profession offshore so have gained quite a few relevant qualifications, both UK and non UK, but not through school or uni's.

Should I put these down in the "Education" section or just refer to them in my personal statement? Don't want my PS to read like a CV.

Cheers
chees006
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You should try to add the organisation you got these qualifications with to your education section and then add qualifications under that. If the organisation you got the qualifications with is not an option on the ucas site then I would put them in your personal statement if you really need to enter them and you're sure they'll affect your chances of success. As a mature student it is of course important you mention these things as they'll probably go towards proving your ability to cope with the demand at university, especially if you studied related material

Good luck with your application!
apc9000
Rep:
?
(Original post by chees006)
You should try to add the organisation you got these qualifications with to your education section and then add qualifications under that. If the organisation you got the qualifications with is not an option on the ucas site then I would put them in your personal statement if you really need to enter them and you're sure they'll affect your chances of success. As a mature student it is of course important you mention these things as they'll probably go towards proving your ability to cope with the demand at university, especially if you studied related material

Good luck with your application!
Thanks Chees. A lot of them are medical quals from places like Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh and London School Of Tropical Medicine and they are not on the list, so I gues its on the PS then.
chees006
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by apc9000)
Thanks Chees. A lot of them are medical quals from places like Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh and London School Of Tropical Medicine and they are not on the list, so I gues its on the PS then.
Another option of course in having your reference put them in if you have one, but yeah if not then put it on your personal statement for sure.
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by apc9000)
Hi all

Mature student (37) who is applying for a BSc Paramedic Science course. I currently work in the medical profession offshore so have gained quite a few relevant qualifications, both UK and non UK, but not through school or uni's.

Should I put these down in the "Education" section or just refer to them in my personal statement? Don't want my PS to read like a CV.

Cheers
International/EU candidates also have non-standard qualifications, and the UCAS advice for those is:
  • Make sure you add as much detail as possible – including grades and results. Without enough information universities might struggle to make a decision.
  • Qualifications are listed by name and country, but don’t worry if yours isn’t there – just add it into the ‘other’ box.
  • You may have to send proof of your results in certificates or transcripts. At UCAS, we’re able to send some of your results – including the International Baccalaureate – but for most international qualifications you’ll have to send them to the university or college yourself. Different universities and colleges have different policies for how they want to receive results. Some might ask for them as soon as you apply – others might do their initial assessment of your application before asking to see proof of your results.
apc9000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Holmstock)
International/EU candidates also have non-standard qualifications, and the UCAS advice for those is:
  • Make sure you add as much detail as possible – including grades and results. Without enough information universities might struggle to make a decision.
  • Qualifications are listed by name and country, but don’t worry if yours isn’t there – just add it into the ‘other’ box.
  • You may have to send proof of your results in certificates or transcripts. At UCAS, we’re able to send some of your results – including the International Baccalaureate – but for most international qualifications you’ll have to send them to the university or college yourself. Different universities and colleges have different policies for how they want to receive results. Some might ask for them as soon as you apply – others might do their initial assessment of your application before asking to see proof of your results.
Thanks very much Holmstock, sound advice. I shall put them in and wait for them to be asked for.

I suppose its better to list them than not list them, plus it gives me a little extra space for my PS!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (68)
19.21%
Labour (140)
39.55%
Liberal Democrats (74)
20.9%
Green Party (26)
7.34%
Brexit Party (10)
2.82%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.41%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)