BubbyGirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,

So obviously I don't want my PS to sound like a sob story but i've read you should put in if you have had a bad year? I *should* have achieved AABB last year… It didn't happen. But all other evidence shows (GCSE's, CAT tests, ALICE..) I am a hard worker and should get it a good set of grades this year. So what do I put regarding my bad AS Levels? I have several 'at home' issues currently and during last year and thats whats really thrown me off track.

Any help is appreciated
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BubbyGirl)
Hey,

So obviously I don't want my PS to sound like a sob story but i've read you should put in if you have had a bad year? I *should* have achieved AABB last year… It didn't happen. But all other evidence shows (GCSE's, CAT tests, ALICE..) I am a hard worker and should get it a good set of grades this year. So what do I put regarding my bad AS Levels? I have several 'at home' issues currently and during last year and thats whats really thrown me off track.

Any help is appreciated
Only explain positive things in your personal statement; any negatives can be explained in an interview if that is necessary. Putting information about your 'home issues' is going to highlight the negative parts, and might end up hurting your application (e.g- you're making yourself look inconsistent).
BubbyGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davalla)
Only explain positive things in your personal statement; any negatives can be explained in an interview if that is necessary. Putting information about your 'home issues' is going to highlight the negative parts, and might end up hurting your application (e.g- you're making yourself look inconsistent).
Thanks very much for the quick response,

what if it is not an interview subject, and they just think I'm going downhill?!
cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks very much for the quick response,

what if it is not an interview subject, and they just think I'm going downhill?!
Get it added into your reference- so they know why you got the grades that you did
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

Any help is appreciated
Keep your personal statement positive - extenuating circumstances should go in your reference, not your PS. Your PS is designed to sell yourself to the universities, so portray yourself in the most positive light possible, and you should speak to the person who's writing your reference about any issues you've had that prevented you from getting the grades that you expected.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Uni admissions have BS detectors.
BubbyGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by cookiemonster15)
Get it added into your reference- so they know why you got the grades that you did
Thanks very much - I shall do
BubbyGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
Keep your personal statement positive - extenuating circumstances should go in your reference, not your PS. Your PS is designed to sell yourself to the universities, so portray yourself in the most positive light possible, and you should speak to the person who's writing your reference about any issues you've had that prevented you from getting the grades that you expected.
Thanks for your advice I will tell school to put it in
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dunno about the personal statement, but it should definitely definitely get mentioned in your reference!!
BubbyGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maker)
Uni admissions have BS detectors.
You have no idea what i've been through so don't comment unless it is something useful/advice. Thanks
BubbyGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Dunno about the personal statement, but it should definitely definitely get mentioned in your reference!!
Yeah it seems thats definitely the advice I'm getting!! - Thank you
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have no idea what i've been through so don't comment unless it is something useful/advice. Thanks
What makes you think I was talking specifically about you? Are you suffering from a narcissistic disorder?
BubbyGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maker)
What makes you think I was talking specifically about you? Are you suffering from a narcissistic disorder?
Maybe because this is my post and it is asking specific advice regarding my situation? Only common sense is required here.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe because this is my post and it is asking specific advice regarding my situation? Only common sense is required here.
You make a lot of assumptions.
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
You make a lot of assumptions.
She would be good at mechanics 1 then :laugh: (someone please understand this)
mangala
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if ur gonna write some negative stuff, write something like "although __________ happened, i learned the following things from this which has.............." kinda thing
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly, you don't have the space in my experience. If I were you, I would very briefly mention any mitigating circumstances and have them explained fully in the reference.

Source: Had extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs/ Oxford/LSE applicant
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mangala)
if ur gonna write some negative stuff, write something like "although __________ happened, i learned the following things from this which has.............." kinda thing
This is exactly what OP should write. I wrote this sort of thing in my PS
Jenx301
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, you should not write negative things in your PS. It is for selling yourself and telling the uni why they should consider you for the course. Make yourself look good. Any extenuating circumstances should go in your reference.
Smonnie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

Any help is appreciated
Don't do it! Big yourself up!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Harper Adams University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 17 Nov '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (134)
18.56%
Labour (309)
42.8%
Liberal Democrats (143)
19.81%
Green Party (41)
5.68%
Brexit Party (21)
2.91%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.28%
SNP (9)
1.25%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.83%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.14%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.14%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)