Not coping with uni stress well Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 49 years ago
So this isn't totally health related but I wanted to post anonymously I guess.
Right now I just don't think I'm coping with the stress of uni so well. I thought I was, and I love uni but maybe I was just in denial. I thought I was doing okay with the work and was only a little bit behind but I just did an online formative (basically a mock exam) & I only got 47%. I only need 50% to pass and the automated system marked some answers wrong because of my spelling (which won't happen in the real exam) but I just feel really upset and stressed about it.
I try not to compare myself to others but it just frustrates me that people seem to be gliding through and getting 70% in the formatives. I have my real exams straight after Christmas and I'm just scared.
My boyfriend does a different degree to me so I don't think he gets that mine is marked and that we get feedback in a totally different way, so his advice isn't always helpful. I don't want to talk to my friends because they're doing the same degree and I guess I don't want to look weak or stupid or pester them with questions when they have their own revision to do. I definitely feeL like I can't talk to my parents because they won't understand and they'll just think it's like A levels.
Anyway, I'm going to finish this and I'm so aware that this post is wallowing in self pity but I'd just like some advice or even some understanding
Cats&Roses
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aww it's okay. Just know that even the best of us fail sometimes. I know that if you just sit down and study hard you could be pleasantly surprised with your final grade!

Do you think the subject matter is too hard to learn? What do you think is the problem that made you get 47%, except the misspelling?

I understand how you must be feeling. I tend to get panic attacks before exams and especially where it's one where my mid-semester test grade wasn't up to par with what I would hope to achieve in the final. I feel like a bad grade in the beginning helps motivate me to study more and in the end it always gets better.

Don't give up, I have faith in you!:console:
DannyYYYY
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The sense that other people are doing just fine and it's only you struggling isn't real. Trust me, you're not alone in feeling like this. Have you been to your university's counselling service?
rajneetk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
University seems...scary I'm peeing myself now. Do they have counsellors at university? maybe you should talk to them. Plus you weren't that bad in your mock exam only 3% and to be fair that is good. I know how you feel about other people and it happens to me all the time. I can totally relate to how you are feeling right now and I wish you the best in University and I hope you get what you want in life! Trust me you will do better! We all learn from mistakes, we all fall but it's the courage to continue that counts. Making mistakes is good because we learn from them, you should go over your exam and work on your mistakes and go over your revision notes or whatever you get.
PLEASE do NOT panic before the exam, that's the worst thing you can do

I wish you well, I really do and I understand because if I were in your position I would be crying my eyes out. However please be brave and kick the 47% goodbye

you should definitely talk to your parents, hiding stuff from them will not work and you will feel twice as worse and I am sure they will listen to you! They're your parents. However if you do not feel comfortable then talk to someone in confidential you can trust!

Best wishes I hope everything goes well x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (110)
65.48%
No (58)
34.52%

Watched Threads