Turn on thread page Beta

When a girl says 'maybe' to a date does she mean no? watch

I asked a girl out on a date and she said 'maybe'. I'll take that as a no, cut my losses and just move on right?

ReputationRep:
    yeah think shes just being nice, sorry pal

ReputationRep:
    You've twigged it. It means no, but she's too shy to say no. Move on.

ReputationRep:
    A maybe is always a no until it isn't. x

Well I had to do it to get things off my chest. Now i know she's not into me I can find other girls to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    ask her what she meant when she nodded her head "yes" but actually meant "no".

It doesn't always mean no - a woman who says maybe might just need some time to think about it! It's always awkward being put on the spot. Ask her again sometime and she's sure to give you a proper answer.

(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    It doesn't always mean no - a woman who says maybe might just need some time to think about it! It's always awkward being put on the spot. Ask her again sometime and she's sure to give you a proper answer.
    I dunno, if she liked me she wouldn't have to think twice.

I think it's a no anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It may mean maybe. How well do you know each other. Your job is to behave impeccably towards her ie polite, friendly, help her etc. to gain her trust. Whatever you do don't push things though. She'll panic and be frightened away. Lots of men don't realise that women can be easily alarmed by over enthusiasm from men they don't know, because they can't judge whether they're likely to get into deep water.

ReputationRep:
    Either:
    she actually means maybe, and will check her schedule,
    she is doing a really sh*tty job at being flirty,
    She means no but doesn't have the balls to say no.

ReputationRep:
    She means: maybe if I can't think of an excuse not to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Agree with this, some need time.

yeah it means no
    she didn't wanna break your heart
    - soz brah
    but you are friendzoned so... she's not gone forever!

ReputationRep:
    It means if I have nothing better to do and I'm hungry and want some free food then yes
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    How long have you know each other?

If for a while then maybe definitely means no :nope:

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's a no. Girls are indecisive and "maybe" is just their way of worming out of an awkward situation. Move on, cut her loose and find another girl who actually respects you enough to give you a Yes or No answer like any decent person would.

(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    How long have you know each other?

If for a while then maybe definitely means no :nope:
    For a few months but we only started talking properly recently.

ReputationRep:
    How did you meet her? And was she keen before you mentioned meeting up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Of course she does.

ReputationRep:
    It's not quite that clear cut...

I almost said "maybe" when my boyfriend asked me out, because I knew I was 17 and lived over an hour away from him, but he thought I was in my early 20s and lived locally. I thought I might be deceiving him and leading him on/wasting his time if I said yes without being honest about my age and where I lived.

In the end, however, I decided that I fancied him too much to risk having him change his mind and I said "Yes".

The point, however, is that there aren't always negative reasons why a girl might say "maybe". It doesn't always mean "no".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.