Hhhhhxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, so I have an mfl speaking assessment and I also suffer with anxiety. Because of this, I feel strongly that I will be unable to complete this task and have been worrying myself sick about it for the past few days. I had an anxiety attack last night from thinking about it too much and know no matter how well I learn the material I will still go blank the second I come to say it, as I know from past experience. This counts towards my gcse so I'm aware it's important but the amount of stress it's causing me I would much rather not do it at all and get better marks in the writing and listening aspects instead. Is there a way I can explain this to my teacher or will I be forced to do it? I really can't see myself doing it without messing up and embarrassing myself. Please help
SKS13614
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you really can't avoid it then just ask if you can practice with your teacher before the exam in exam conditions, but of course they'll ask the questions in English. I myself suffer from panic attacks, but after I practised a few times with my teacher (I messed up the first time) I was able to do the speaking exam. It also helped that my teacher let us do whatever we want as long as we could be clearly heard, whether that meant turning round, sitting on the floor, or staring at the ceiling. Also take a conscious breath after each sentence, as when I start to get nervous I usually blurt everything out, but that helped me pace myself. Also if you can't get time to practise with your teacher then try practising with a friend or someone else and pretend as if it is the exam.
I hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (49)
18.77%
Labour (106)
40.61%
Liberal Democrats (53)
20.31%
Green Party (16)
6.13%
Brexit Party (7)
2.68%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.53%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.92%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)