TheDboyAi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I've really been struggling on which university's to consider putting on my ucas application(haven't sent it off yet)

What I am really interested in is studying is Computer Animation (that isn't 2D narrative orientated like the animation at ravensbourne) that not only limited to the games, but also stretches to animation and film-making.

Im looking for a course that allows me to make good cinematics like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

So far I am considering: Southampton Solent, Bradford, Lincoln & Hertfordshire
For anyone who's studying/looking to go at these uni's or knows about theses unis really well, I'd like to know how good is student satisfaction? and more importantly are the modules that are included are suited for what you want to do?

I am abit weary of Hertfordshire, as I've heard some pretty negative things about it and the student satisfaction seems abit low. And with Lincoln, im unsure as it what animation they do as it's mention in a general context in the modules

Thanks
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do bear in mind that student satisfaction is a survey done on one day at one point in a degree, and it is massively affected by how students feel on that particular day... so if they are stressed because of an impending deadline, you get lower scores - if it happens the day after the marking came back and everyone got the grades they wanted, you get high scores... and it also only reflects the students who replied to the survey; because many students don't fill it out. What you should be looking at is the quality of the work of the students because that is what gets you hired at the end, and very few courses in the UK have strong employment records with the industry.

Here's an example of work by last year's graduates from the 3D, Games and VFX degrees:

If you want to create work this good there are very few places in the UK to study.
beabird
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDboyAi)
Hi, I've really been struggling on which university's to consider putting on my ucas application(haven't sent it off yet)

What I am really interested in is studying is Computer Animation (that isn't 2D narrative orientated like the animation at ravensbourne) that not only limited to the games, but also stretches to animation and film-making.
Hi, I answered your other thread, but I probably wrote more than necessary.

From what I felt when looking at Animation Unis, Hertfordshire and Bournemouth (BU) seemed to be the top for 3D/Computer Animation courses.

moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks very much
TheDboyAi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for the response guys, I was really impressed by the UHAnimation show real, so i might add Hertfordshire to my ucas
Ravensbourne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDboyAi)

Im looking for a course that allows me to make good cinematics like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

So far I am considering: Southampton Solent, Bradford, Lincoln & Hertfordshire
For anyone who's studying/looking to go at these uni's or knows about theses unis really well, I'd like to know how good is student satisfaction? and more importantly are the modules that are included are suited for what you want to do?

I am abit weary of Hertfordshire, as I've heard some pretty negative things about it and the student satisfaction seems abit low. And with Lincoln, im unsure as it what animation they do as it's mention in a general context in the modules

Thanks
Hi Dboy,

I am a Ravensbourne animation student in my third year so I can give you insight into the course and actually we are more 3D based.
The animation course is very open and we do have options to work in 2D or 3D for games or film.

The workshops in class are directed towards 3D pipelines, so I hope that clears up any confusion
This is our current showreel, if you'd like to take a look!
Click Here

In terms of your student satisfaction, it could be helpful to look at uni stats of your choices, and as Moid says, do keep in mind it could be based on their feeling on the day, so you should also look into the work created their and the structure of their lectures.

Hope this helps!
Jay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (49)
18.77%
Labour (106)
40.61%
Liberal Democrats (53)
20.31%
Green Party (16)
6.13%
Brexit Party (7)
2.68%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.53%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.92%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)