GeekLane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I honestly don't know what's wrong with me but for some reason I've gone downhill. I used to be an A* student who always completed homework on time and to a good standard. Now it's as if my standards have dropped and I don't know what to do about it. I just cannot get motivated to work hard and leave things until the very last minute because I simply cannot be bothered. I'm really worried as I still want good grades but the more I think about studying, the more panicked I get and the less I want to do it. How can I get myself back on track?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're studying a lot of essay-based subjects I gather?
GeekLane
Rep:
?
(Original post by shawn_o1)
You're studying a lot of essay-based subjects I gather?
I study English Literature, History and Media
Dolphins
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well... I don't know if it's the same for you but I used to feel like this and I think it was because I went from being an over achiever (A*s all the time just like you) to A Levels where you had to actually work to get the grades.

So the reason I really struggled was because I was afraid of failing.

Unfortunately if that's you like it was me... The only way to motivate yourself again is to push through this feeling of being afraid to fail because if you do nothing you definitely won't get the grades you deserve!
GeekLane
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dolphins)
Well... I don't know if it's the same for you but I used to feel like this and I think it was because I went from being an over achiever (A*s all the time just like you) to A Levels where you had to actually work to get the grades.

So the reason I really struggled was because I was afraid of failing.

Unfortunately if that's you like it was me... The only way to motivate yourself again is to push through this feeling of being afraid to fail because if you do nothing you definitely won't get the grades you deserve!
I think that may be the issue with me, I'll try my best, thank you
Dolphins
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry to hear it's the same for you but the good news is you know before it's too late! You could try starting with getting homework done as soon as you get it and go from there, that's what I try to do
GeekLane
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dolphins)
Sorry to hear it's the same for you but the good news is you know before it's too late! You could try starting with getting homework done as soon as you get it and go from there, that's what I try to do
I'll try that, it's just hard to think of doing that as soon as I get it. I tend to waste time worrying about it
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think one important thing is to:
a) realize that their are loads of students in the same boat and that a fear of failure is more of your own perception and not reality
b) Try to remember why you wanted to do them in the first place, that might show them in a more positive light
c) search around the possibilities of careers path not demanding A*A*A, that probably gives you some alternatives, which clarifies, what you actually need to achieve and that no matter which grade you end up, you have plenty of awesome possibilities
d) ask others how they learn, look at what you need to do for exams, so you can revise efficiently
e) Work regularly a little and not demand a high work load everyday of yours
f) Do something you have to work for, but is not related to grades, only fun, e.g. sports, drama, cooking certain dishes => that gives you a non-graded environment

That would be some of the tips, I could give you.
spiritless98
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Think of the long term goal, you can do it- you're capable of it- don't let your laziness ruin you
For essay based subjects just create model answers for every possible essay and memorise them

Posted from TSR Mobile
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GeekLane)
I honestly don't know what's wrong with me but for some reason I've gone downhill. I used to be an A* student who always completed homework on time and to a good standard. Now it's as if my standards have dropped and I don't know what to do about it. I just cannot get motivated to work hard and leave things until the very last minute because I simply cannot be bothered. I'm really worried as I still want good grades but the more I think about studying, the more panicked I get and the less I want to do it. How can I get myself back on track?
I'm experiencing this as well: I have completely lost my entire motivation, and only gained a bit for now.

You could try:
-Going on YouTube and watching videos about your desired course/uni/job
-Research your favourite topic in one of your subjecy
-Approach revision differently: do not see it as a boring procedure
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try writing the grades you want to achieve on a piece of paper and sticking it on your bedroom wall, this could inspire you everyday to work for those grades!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (35)
18.04%
Unconditional if firmed (14)
7.22%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
1.03%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.58%
No unconditional offers (138)
71.13%

Watched Threads