Got a dissertation supervisor meeting tomorrow... Watch

ghall
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm super nervous for my one to one meeting with my supervisor to discuss about my background literature review (had a group meeting with him before, this is the first individual meeting). I don't know how to make myself to relax, I feel anxious about meeting with him. I don't know why. Perhaps I am not comfortable with him. Also I hate talking about my work because what if he says it is crap. I'm an awkward person, and aren't good at making conversations. Any tips or advice?
Holydude
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My dissertation supervisor was really helpful, through providing criticism + she was easy to speak to, so look forward to receiving the help.
ghall
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Holydude)
My dissertation supervisor was really helpful, through providing criticism + she was easy to speak to, so look forward to receiving the help.
Cool. Yes I have to remind myself he is there to help me.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It can reflect badly on a supervisor if their student's dissertation goes badly. Just remind yourself that ultimately, it's in their interest to help you succeed. Bear in mind that your Lit Review may need some additional work or tweaking - this would be normal at this point, so don't take this suggestion as an inference that your work is poor. Academic research is constantly evolving - and as I found, there's no such thing as "enough" reading!

Your supervisor may challenge you and push you at times, but this will only be to try and help you improve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?