The Student Room Group

Photography Student; Will they accept me?

Im hoping to go to Uni in 2008 was was wondering about my place in uni due to my decrease in academic grades. Im currently studying in BTECH ND photography. I have also done a GNVQ in Peforming Arts, in sixth form.
These were my grades in GCSE:

English - D
English - D
Maths - E
Science - F
Art - E
Textiles - E
Drama - C

and I've heard you need a A-C in english and maths. I was a few marks away from a C in english but im worried about maths. Do I need to re-sit these or will uni's accept me in anyway?
You wanna do a degree in Photographer, yeah? Dun worry abt the GCSEs or A-level too much, coz the most important things are you have got a decent and of cause good enough portfolio and also for most cases; have done a foundation.

Sometimes they would say you need X, Y and Z when you first approach them, but I wouldn't be turned down just for that, coz most of the time, they are lies anyway. I would just apply to the courses you want with a very sharp, spot on and special personal statement (coz this is the first and the most important they would look at, and they are likely to decide to interview you or not based on that). But remember, after all these, the MOST MOST absolutely IMPORTANT thing is your PORTFOLIO.

Gd Luck mate
Reply 2
Often universities do state that you need a-c maths english and science gcse's however, considering you are doing the equivillent of a foundation year now, If you make sure you put together an amazing portfolio it shouldn't be a problem I don't think.
Reply 3
I got into Bedfordshire on the BA in Digital Photography & Video Art @ Bedfordshire with passes from my BTEC ND. I applied directly coz I missed UCAS. No problem, they looked at my work and said yes which was cool. I'm in my second year now and I LOVE IT. THe course is quite small - bout 25 student in my year and the staff are chilled but they do care. Had an exhibition the other week and I've just done a fashion shoot with somone I met there. It's cool coz its also really close to London and cheap to live. THe town's a bit dull but there poretty good nite life.

Latest