1 day travel within the UK? Watch

lakehouse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am planning to travel within the UK for just 1 day.

I live in London, so I plan to take the rail to somewhere nearby (2-3hours?), with good scenery, or interesting towns.

Don't drive, so won't be able to walk distances to natural scenery.

So far, I've tried:

Brighton
Birmingham,

which are both easily accessible and interesting to visit.

Any suggestions?
Mpagtches
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you consider Birmingham to be interesting to visit, you can basically just jump on whatever train comes first want and have a great time I'm sure.
Harlee24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bristol and Bath are both beautiful cities! I'd recommend both
lakehouse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Mpagtches)
If you consider Birmingham to be interesting to visit, you can basically just jump on whatever train comes first want and have a great time I'm sure.
Haha, actually it wasn't that interesting, although i shopped at Bullring.

But you get my point. Something like Brighton, with a bit of scenery and easily accessible.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Chester
Topdeck Travel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lakehouse)
I am planning to travel within the UK for just 1 day.
(Original post by lakehouse)

I live in London, so I plan to take the rail to somewhere nearby (2-3hours?), with good scenery, or interesting towns.

Don't drive, so won't be able to walk distances to natural scenery.

So far, I've tried:

Brighton
Birmingham,

which are both easily accessible and interesting to visit.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Getting anywhere from London is so easy nowadays and a lot of the worthwhile cities to visit are only a maximum of 3 hours away by train. Deciding where to go really depends what you’re wanting to get out of your day trip and also how the infamous British weather is going to behave!

If you’re looking for a quintessential British town, checking out the infamous Cambridge or Oxford will tick off many of the boxes: homes to two of the most prestigious Universities in the world, it also has a variety of beautiful architecture as well as some gorgeous rivers to see whilst going for a nice country walk. Getting to Oxford takes around 1 hour by train and costs are around £25 return, whilst Cambridge takes under an hour by train and costs can be as cheap as £15 if you book in advance.

If you fancy being in 2 countries in 1 day, then you should visit Cardiff where trains take 2 hours and returns are around £40 as long as you book well in advance. The city isn’t too big so you can get a good feel for the place in a day. It’s well worth checking out the Cardiff Indoor market where you can sample some classic Welsh food like Welshcakes or Laverbread or just get lost in the array of trinkets. Also, if you’re into rugby or football then perhaps it would be worth visiting Cardiff on a day when an international match is playing in the Millennium Stadium.

Another option is to check out the West Country by visiting Bath or Bristol. Bath is your quaint English town with great architecture and fascinating history whilst Bristol offers up a very cool, current vibe. Bristol is an extremely exciting city to visit with its commitment to green living and embracement of artwork in all forms as well as a very cool music scene for all genres. On the other hand, Bath offers up beautiful Georgian architecture and the infamous Thermae Spa which is a must-try as it’s Britain’s only natural thermal spa! The easiest and way to get to either destination is by train and it can takes around 1 ½ hours and costs approx £40 if you book well in advance.

With a lot of these main cities, it’s easy to get involved in a walking tour (sometimes free with an expectation of a small tip) which is a great way to see a city if you’re only there for the day. Or if you fancy something a little spookier, go on a ghost walk in Cardiff or Bath or where you can learn all about the legends from history.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Polly
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
2 hours to York. Job done.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ragini Swarn)
You can go by taxi service. It would be a good idea for travel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (143)
18.94%
Labour (322)
42.65%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.26%
Green Party (41)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.78%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)