The Student Room Group

Concordant results in titration

The average titre is worked out using concordant results. So the reason for this is to make sure the the results are more precise or accurate? Thank you
Reply 1
Well.. precise is how close your results are to each other. Accurate is how close your results are to the actual value.

Therefore if your results are concordant to one another, they must be precise. In other words, you're using the equipment the same way every time (with precision).
Reply 2
[pedantry]Actually, accuracy is a measurement of how close one result is to the true value. If you're talking about multiple results, you can't talk about accuracy of them as a group. If you were to calculate the mean value and then see how close that value was to the true value, you'd be talking about trueness, rather than accuracy.[/pedantry]
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
[pedantry]Actually, accuracy is a measurement of how close one result is to the true value. If you're talking about multiple results, you can't talk about accuracy of them as a group. If you were to calculate the mean value and then see how close that value was to the true value, you'd be talking about trueness, rather than accuracy.[/pedantry]

So concordant results are precise then, not accurate? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Dolphins
Well.. precise is how close your results are to each other. Accurate is how close your results are to the actual value.

Therefore if your results are concordant to one another, they must be precise. In other words, you're using the equipment the same way every time (with precision).

So without an average titre, your results would not be precise? Thank you
Reply 5
The concordant results are precise, i.e. that result is repeatable.

They could be accurate, but unless you know the true value, you can't tell that they are or not.

Imagine you used a 10 cm3 pipette rather than a 25 cm3 pipette. You'd get concordant results, but the mean titre would be nowhere near the true value (that you'd have got had you actually used a 25 cm3 pipette).
Reply 6
Original post by Pigster
The concordant results are precise, i.e. that result is repeatable.

They could be accurate, but unless you know the true value, you can't tell that they are or not.

Imagine you used a 10 cm3 pipette rather than a 25 cm3 pipette. You'd get concordant results, but the mean titre would be nowhere near the true value (that you'd have got had you actually used a 25 cm3 pipette).

This is pretty well written. I have trouble putting what I mean into words... :smile:
Concordant results are obtained when at least 2 accurate titrations agree to within 0.10 cm3
hey does anyone know what this means 'Explain why concordant results are used to calculate the mean titre'.

Quick Reply

Latest