Should I drop AS English even though I want to study law at university? Watch

hol288
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice So I'm doing AS English Literature, and I'm not doing as well as I had hoped to be.. I'm studying Death of A Salesman, which I generally get 18/25 in and Othello, which I get 12/25... so you can see that I am AWFUL at Othello (bearing in mind I want a B at the end of the year)

I'll spend hours planning and writing the essays for Othello and I have never got more than 12/25 even though we have been doing it for months, and I never seem to have time for any of my other subjects.

My other subjects are biology, chemistry and geography which I am predicted A's in so should I just focus on these and make sure I get the grades?

I am also doing an internship at a solicitors if that is useful?
Thanks for any help
poppy77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I dropped AS English Lit in December last year after finding it incredibly stressful compared to Bio, Chem and Maths . I picked up AS Physics (had to try really hard to convince my head of sixth to let me though) and had to work extremely hard to teach myself the first half of AS - did get an A in the end though. If you're able and want to swap to another subject it is hard, but it's not a massive problem as long as you're willing to put the work in over Christmas to catch up.

Yes, essay subjects are good for law - but so are science subjects - they show you have a logical mind. Most courses don't even ask for specific subjects so I wouldn't worry about focusing on sciences (especially if you're going to get AAA+!)
hol288
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Oh wow well done you must have put a lot of work in for physics then! Yeah I'm definitely finding English a lot more stressful compared to my other subjects, its mostly just the time having spent annotating and writing essays etc, do you regret changing English at all or was it the right decision?

I'm still not sure on doing law yet, but I'm just aware that you need a good level of written communication to do it, but at least if I do drop it won't be a major issue!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (83)
18.61%
Labour (185)
41.48%
Liberal Democrats (92)
20.63%
Green Party (33)
7.4%
Brexit Party (15)
3.36%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.35%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.12%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)
0%
UKIP (4)
0.9%
Other (4)
0.9%
None (19)
4.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise