Humz007
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'll be choosing my A Levels soon and want to know more about what physics is like. I want to do economics or chartered accounting at uni so my three A level choices so far are maths, economics and history. I'm just not sure about the fourth one. Is physics insanely difficult? or boring? What is your experience with it. Also, are there other good alternatives?
Thanks
MUTTA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hard
ver hard
especially a2
Humz007
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by MUTTA)
hard
ver hard
especially a2
Hmm. At my school we choose 3 A's and 1 AS so if I do end up taking physics I'll probably just do it until AS due to that hard af A2. But if I decide to do something else then I'll have to make a decision between that thing or history for AS.
Student232
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I started doing physics this year and I've had to drop it because I found it boring and the teachers were really bad, so I switched to further maths. However, you might find it interesting and have decent teachers at your sixth form or college. I found that a big proportion of the course (OCR A) was about electricity (which I hate!) and forces and motion (which is ok but the way it was taught was really boring). There is a lot of maths in it, so if you are good at maths then you should be fine at it. I know a few people who take physics with economics it seems quite a popular combination. I think if you prefer just maths then do further maths, if you enjoy applying maths then do physics.
semise
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When I first started doing Physics at AS-level, I was like 'what is the s**t' but after a month I really did start to enjoy it... it's currently my favourite subject right now! Understand the topics is very important because you honestly can't just memorise some facts (especially for mechanics). I chose it because I need it for my chosen degree, but If you're thinking of taking it, be prepared to give it slightly more attention than your other subjects when you firsr start

Posted from TSR Mobile
rainbowtwist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Everybody has different opinions about it - there's no way of knowing until you try it.

As someone said above, OCR A starts with circuits, forces and motion - it just gets the boring stuff out of the way first :'D
Once you've done circuits you'd be on to quantum mechanics, astrophysics etc.

Personally, I love physics and I want to study it at uni so I think you should go for it and at least try it.
Just one thing - make sure you're doing the mechanics module in maths because it helps so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Harper Adams University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 17 Nov '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (134)
18.56%
Labour (309)
42.8%
Liberal Democrats (143)
19.81%
Green Party (41)
5.68%
Brexit Party (21)
2.91%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.28%
SNP (9)
1.25%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.83%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.14%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.14%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)