Can someone give me some career guidance please ? Watch

mcphillipsj13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I finished my A-Levels In 2014 and went straight into work because I wasn't clear on what I wanted to do with in terms of a career choice and I didn't want to rush into something I'd regret later on. I got BBC ( which I know isn't fantastic) in geography, business and PE. I want to study something that will give me good graduate options. I'm thinking geography, engineering route. But i'm not sure if my grades will be good enough. I'm 20 years old from the Norh East and there isn't a great deal round here anymore especially with the steel industry being mothballed. ** I recently applied to my local police force to train as a Police Constable as this is the job I really want and I got through the first stage, now I'm waiting for a date for an assessment centre. But I acknowledge that it will be difficult to get in so I've just been thinking about a back up plan incase I don't get in. So if I get in then great. If I don't, my thinking is to go and get a degree, become more well rounded and skilled then if still aspire to be a Bobby I can try again or I may be interests in something else by then. Can someone please give me their advice ? I'd really appreciate any guidance. All my friends seems to be on their own career path and I want to be doing the same. Thanks for reading !!
digitalangel18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
tbh you can get a degree in ANYTHING and when you graduate you can get an internship or apply for a graduate program at loads of company's. If you get a BA in geography or whatever you can apply for a manager graduate scheme at M&S, a bank, a hotel etc there's loads of finance jobs for graduates. You can get an engineer apprenticeship so you don't have to go to uni.

you could do computer science and still work for the police or intelligence (MI5/MI6) - which also have grad schemes/apprenticeships.
username2130115
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
universities tend to be more lenient with mature students. you should consider doing an engineering foundation year at a university like manchester, nottingham or york.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (35)
18.04%
Unconditional if firmed (14)
7.22%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
1.03%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.58%
No unconditional offers (138)
71.13%

Watched Threads