Turn on thread page Beta

Is really hard to do 4 A-levels for two years? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am really unsure whether I should do 4 A-levels. I am planning to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English Literature. I want to become a doctor, so I will need to take chem, bio and maths, but as for eng lit I'm not sure....

PLEASE HELP!

ReputationRep:
    Why not try it and see? What GCSE's did you get, and what career plans do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I did it and it's relatively easy. Got 4 As, predicted 4 A*s.

ReputationRep:
    If you did well at GCSE you should be fine with those subjects. Having said that, I did well at GCSE and I'm finding A-Levels pretty tough so far (mainly because of the workload), and I do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to say that your choices are easy but if u wanna do medicine then you're options are set, Although I think English language would be a better choice than Lit. I do Lit though, be prepared to read lots and lots and be able to memorise quotes its closed Book Examination.

(Original post by Yummygummykai09)
    I am really unsure whether I should do 4 A-levels. I am planning to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English Literature. I want to become a doctor, so I will need to take chem, bio and maths, but as for eng lit I'm not sure....

PLEASE HELP!
    You don't need to take maths to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on what matters to you. In the scheme of things your degree will be the most important academic qualification in becoming a doctor and if you feel as though you are putting your opportunity for a place at the university you want to attend at risk then why bother. Ensuring the right degree and university will be far more important to your future than an English A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yummygummykai09)

PLEASE HELP!
    DO IT.
    best decision i've made during my A levels. Definitely helped my time management and organisation.

ReputationRep:
    You could just do English until AS so there's less of a work load in year 13 and more time can be spent on the other three A Levels. I think A*A*A* is better than A*A*AA as uni's requirement are based on 3 grades - but I may be wrong, doing well in 4 subjects (more than what most people take) may still be attractive to them. I think if you're very very good at English and cut out for 4 A Levels then go for it. Otherwise just do it for AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippabethan)
    Why not try it and see? What GCSE's did you get, and what career plans do you have?
    I'm in yr 11 right now so I will be doing my GCSEs in the summer, but so far I have an A in maths and a A in RE. I want to be a doctor and apart from that I don't know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    You don't need to take maths to do medicine.
    True you don't need it, but maths is a good one to have for anything so op should stick to that

(Original post by HamzahPatel)
    True you don't need it, but maths is a good one to have for anything so op should stick to that
    It's rather more important for the OP to take a subject that he or she has the best chance of getting an A/A* in. Most medicine admissions tutor would rather you have an A in geography or history or English literature than have a C in maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    It's rather more important for the OP to take a subject that he or she has the best chance of getting an A/A* in. Most medicine admissions tutor would rather you have an A in geography or history or English literature than have a C in maths.
    true that

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.